PDA

View Full Version : Keeping yeast in temperature tolerance range

GunnerExcel
04-17-2013, 03:20 PM
Hi everyone, been lurking awhile and finally got signed up. My previous hobby was coaching my son's football team but he's moved on to bigger and better coaching. So anyway I need a new hobby and I've decided on making mead only problem is we're moving next month and the wife won't let me start my mead until we're in the new house.

I have however been doing my reading and research and building up my amazon wishlist for the supplies that I'll need, I really can't wait to start.

So my initial plan was to do a 5 gallon semi sweet base mead using 15 pounds of orange blossom honey, distilled water and d47 yeast.

My question is will the yeast be fine brewing in my home office where the temperature can fluctuate between 72 and 85 degrees, I read that its better to keep fermentation on the low end of the yeast tolerance for a cleaner taste. I don't mind using a different yeast if I can keep it semi sweet and I don't have a funky number of pounds of honey.

Thanks for the input y'all.

Swordnut
04-17-2013, 03:56 PM
Put it in a closet. When the temp's on the low end in the room (at night?) open the door. Then in the mornings when you come in, close the door. That way the closet will insulate the mead and keep it at the temperature it was at night, 75 degrees, far better.

Medsen Fey
04-17-2013, 03:58 PM
My question is will the yeast be fine brewing in my home office where the temperature can fluctuate between 72 and 85 degrees,

With D47, if you can't keep the temp below 72F , you'll wind up with paint thinner. With the temps you are keeping, you can consider K1V, or D21 both of which will take it dry. You can then backsweeten if you like.

GunnerExcel
04-17-2013, 04:18 PM
With D47, if you can't keep the temp below 72F , you'll wind up with paint thinner. With the temps you are keeping, you can consider K1V, or D21 both of which will take it dry. You can then backsweeten if you like.

I was afraid of that, im trying to come up with a way to keep the room cool enough. I don't like dry wine so don't think I'll like dry mead.

Could I increase the honey amount in the must?

Medsen Fey
04-17-2013, 05:21 PM
Could I increase the honey amount in the must?

That's what backsweetening does - you just do it at the end, after stabilizing so you don't drive the ABV up to rocket fuel level.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

GunnerExcel
04-17-2013, 10:18 PM
What about this yeast

Red Star Pasteur Red 16% 64-86 F Low

Average sweetness?

Medsen Fey
04-18-2013, 04:37 AM
I don't recall seeing it tested at high temp so if you try it, please keep a good brewlog.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

K5MOW
04-18-2013, 06:31 AM

Would 1118 also be a good yeast but also would go dry.

Roger

Medsen Fey
04-18-2013, 08:30 AM
Would 1118 also be a good yeast

No. You can see the "HotMead Yeast Test" for more info.

Kansas Mead
04-18-2013, 10:27 AM
One way to keep the temperature down is to wrap the fermenter in a wet towel. And place a pool of water under the fermenter to keep the towel wet.