PDA

View Full Version : 5 galllon racking question

1eightdevils
04-18-2013, 09:53 AM
Hi everyone,
so I racked my 5 gallon orange blossom mead from the fermentaion bucket on the 14 of april. sg reading was .999-1.000. I racked into a 5 gallon carboy. should I top it off because there is about 8 inches of space from the top of the mead to the airlock. There is pressure on the air lock. just wondering if that is to much space and if I do add water will it dilute the abv too much.
thanks for everyones time

Kansas Mead
04-18-2013, 10:17 AM
Is the carboy glass or plastic?

Soyala_Amaya
04-18-2013, 11:35 AM
It's not really how far down the mead is from the airlock as square inches exposed to air. Is the surface area mostly negligible or is it quite large? If you have a large amount of exposed surface area, then yes, I'd top up. Actually, as the SG you posted right now is VERY dry, backsweetening would be the perfect option for you right now.

1eightdevils
04-19-2013, 09:43 AM
Its a standard glass carboy. what would the best method of backsweetening be?

Chevette Girl
04-19-2013, 02:37 PM
I like to take a small sample and add honey till it tastes right, check the SG, and then bring the whole batch up to just under that SG (using the mead calculator to get a rough estimate on how much honey I'll need). Still leaves a bit of wiggle-room without overdoing it.

1eightdevils
04-19-2013, 03:57 PM
thanks,
Back to my first question, I have a standard 5 gal. glass carboy. The top of the mead is right at the point where the carboy starts to curve up to the top. About a 10 inch diameter of surface area that the mead is exposed.
will this really affect it since there is still co2 being produce. If i add one gallon of water and 1 pound of honey to it, do I put it in raw or should i heat it first.

Marshmallow Blue
04-25-2013, 03:38 PM
If there is still Co2 being made than it should be okay until you rack again, as long as it was enough C02 to press all the air out.