PDA

View Full Version : New to the site new recipe

Womack
04-26-2013, 07:59 PM
So I am traditionally a brewer of stout and cider. I have a base recipe I used for my ciders 4 gallons of apple juice and 2 lbs brown sugar. After adding in the 10 lbs of honey, the starting gravity on this Cizer is 1148. My question is How rich of a must can be made, before I must worry about it not kicking off?

My intent is to make a cizer with a strong aroma and flavor with enough alcohol to balance it out.

fatbloke
04-27-2013, 03:12 AM
So I am traditionally a brewer of stout and cider. I have a base recipe I used for my ciders 4 gallons of apple juice and 2 lbs brown sugar. After adding in the 10 lbs of honey, the starting gravity on this Cizer is 1148. My question is How rich of a must can be made, before I must worry about it not kicking off?

My intent is to make a cizer with a strong aroma and flavor with enough alcohol to balance it out.
WTF ? can you clarify what you mean ?

Are you asking how high a gravity reading can be, before it will refuse to ferment ?

Or are you asking something else ?

In any case, 1.148 is very high. I have no idea why you'd want to add the sugar as it will do little for the flavour, just raise the gravity level and possible alcohol level.

In any case it will make for a ferment that I'd presume would be a complete PITA to manage. You would be better off starting lower and then adding some of the honey as small increments to keep increasing the gravity back up i.e. step feeding.

Yet that'd be hard to suggest a proper way for this as you don't mention what yeast you want to use, etc. So it would be helpful to post a full list of ingredients you want to use in your cyser, as well as your intended method...

Oh, and welcome to the forums......

Womack
04-28-2013, 02:13 AM
Apologies all ingredients were listed except for the yeast. I use champagne yeast nothing as fancy as the pure strain yeast. Just the dry champagne yeast in the packet form the local brew shop.

4 gallons apple juice
2 lbs brown sugar
10 lbs blackberry honey
Dry Champagne yeast (activated with 2 tsp corn sugar to 1 cup water at 105F)

Method:
10 gallon pot filled with 4 lbs brown sugar and 4 gallons apple juice (barsotti's) Heated to 180 F add then I added in 10lbs blackberry honey mixed it in and the let stand at 180 for 15 mins. Then I used a wirt chiller for the sake of expediency to chill it to 70 degrees, poured it off in to a 5 gallon carboy and added activated champagne yeast. After 4 hours the first bubbles began to come.

Current status:
After 24 hours of fermentation I am getting a nice steady flow of bubbles out of the air lock with no blow over though I have a blow over tube on it just in case. The temp is approaching 70F. I have it in a fridge controled by an external thermostat so I think I should be able to control the temp if it really gets going.

Regarding the brown sugar :
My base recipe for a cider includes 2 lbs brown sugar. I agree I should have left it out in this case.

and Thanks :)