PDA

View Full Version : Ferment all together or seperately?

B. Goldwater
04-29-2013, 04:11 PM
Wanted to first say hi to all, I have monitored the forums for quite sometime and found many of the answers I was looking for without having to post. Thank you all for the info. But I now have my first question to pose to all you Mead heads out there.:p

My plan is to start a strawberry, an apple/cinammon, an orange/spice, and a traditional honey mead all at the same time this go around.

My question is this:

Should I primary ferment all the mead together then split into seperate carboys for secondary with the addition of the fruit/spices then? Or primary them seperately too?

I am a fan of just honey, water, yeast in primary. Then adding stuff once it is racked into secondary to continue. I feel I get bolder flavors this way.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

B. Goldwater

Marshmallow Blue
04-29-2013, 04:23 PM
Your method should work fine. With things like these there is not one sure way to do it. Some people like to add things during primary and secondary. Others do it like this and make a big traditional and split it up into separate secondaries for experimentation.

Have fun and welcome to GotMead!

B. Goldwater
04-29-2013, 04:27 PM
Thank you for the quick response. I am leaning towards making a big traditional and then splitting for secondary. Sounds like that should work fine. :)

BBBF
04-29-2013, 04:33 PM
Thank you for the quick response. I am leaning towards making a big traditional and then splitting for secondary. Sounds like that should work fine. :)

That will work.

I often start with a 6 gallon batch of jtradiational and split it into (1) 3 gallon batch and (3) 1 gallon batches. It is much easier to manage 1 primary fermentation than several smaller primary fermentations.

B. Goldwater
04-29-2013, 04:41 PM
Perfect! that is what I am gonna do tonight then. I'll keep you guys posted on the progress. Thanks for the help.