PDA

View Full Version : Another Clearing Question

ambloplites
04-30-2013, 08:30 PM
Howdy - I suspect that the main answer I will receive is: "patience cures all things in mead". But, anyway, I'll post my question/challenge.

Back on 9 September 2012 I started 4 "Joe's Ancient Orange" variants. Each used 3.5 lbs clover honey, 1 tblspn redstar active dry yeast, a handful of raisins, and final volume of each was 1 gallon. We will call them Recipes "A, B, C, and D".

"A, B, and C" were given 1 cinnamon stick, 3 whole cloves, a pinch of nutmeg, and a pinch of allspice.

"A" was given a whole orange, cut into wedges (original recipe).
"B" was given the juice and zest of one orange.
"C" was given the juice and zest of 2 large lemons.

"D" was given a jalapeno pepper sliced into thin strips. I know, sounds terrible, but I tried a jalapeno in an earlier mead and it turned out quite good!

The estimated original gravity for all four monsters was about 1.13.

Everybody burbled along happily. The mead closet smelled divine!

Recipe "A" cleared completely by 9 Oct 2012 (speedy!); and was bottled on 10 Nov 2012 with a final gravity of 1.042 (mighty tasty)!

The remaining three were racked to new carboys on 10 Nov 2012.

"B" cleared completely, and was bottled on 30 March 2013 with a final gravity of 1.040 (again, mighty tasty).

"C" and "D" are still sitting, quietly, with no sign of clearing. Gravity of "C" at racking was 1.072, and that of "D" was 1.040. Both still smell wonderful.

The question is: let them continue to just sit ... waiting for clarity? Should I do anything else?

Thanks!

Chevette Girl
05-02-2013, 10:10 PM
I'd suspect the problem with C might be pectin, as citrus is the main way they get pectin for jams and jellies. I made an extra-citrusy JAOV a few years ago and had to add pectinase to it to get it to clear, unlike other JAO's with less citrus. I don't know about the jalapeno one, the one time I fermented jalapenos, it cleared before it was done fermenting... I'd suggest time for that one, or if you get tired of waiting to see what your aberration tastes like ;D, bentonite.

ambloplites
05-03-2013, 02:23 PM
Thanks "CG" ... I was also suspect of pectin. I might give it a shot in the arm with pectinase and see what happens ... can't hurt, right?!

Yep, my other jalapeno mead cleared quickly and brilliantly. I've given it a quick sniff, and it smells wonderful ... think I'll just let it continue to sit for a while. I've tried bentonite before, and might fall back on it again in a few more months! LOL!

Cal
05-03-2013, 09:50 PM
I'll cosign with CG on the pectin problem. I had a similar issu (http://www.gotmead.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20831&page=2)e with a strawberry Jaov and had to add pectic enzyme to get it to clear.

Medsen Fey
05-04-2013, 07:37 PM
See the thread listed below for instructions on how to determine if pectins are present.
http://www.gotmead.com/forum/showthread.php?p=208763

ambloplites
06-05-2013, 12:36 AM
A quick follow-up. I dumped sparkolloid in each of the "troublesome" meads. About a quarter of what is generally called for in a one gallon volume. After about a week, both were clear as gin ... but with that beautiful golden mead color! All has been bottled, and they are ever so tasty! ;D

I think they just needed a "kick" to push then into clearing.

The jalapeno variant has a very strong jalapeno aroma, and a bite ... a nice bite!>:D

The lemon variant has a very mellow flavor with a nice hint of lemons ... I like to describe it as "heaven in a bikini"! :angel7:

Thanks again for the suggestions folks!

Chevette Girl
06-10-2013, 10:57 PM
I think they just needed a "kick" to push then into clearing.

Sometimes it doesn't take much. I think the most annoying one was when my maple mead was mostly clear and hadn't dropped sediment in six months... bottled it, in 24 hours it dropped crystal clear with all kinds of sediment in the bottles :rolleyes: