• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Sulfiting and Bentonite

Barrel Char Wood Products

WanderingRemnant

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 9, 2013
Olympia, WA
So I finally have my blackberry mead ready to bottle. It tastes delicious thus far. It has been racked off of the berries for about a month now, and was meticulously strained through Cheese cloth and muslin bags and everything has settled out. Despite it is very dark I do notice small clusters still in suspension. I have decided to add sulphite.

Can I add the campden tabs and bentonite at the same time? Or should I wait the 24 hrs after to add the bentonite?

Another gee whiz question for adding the pectic enzyme. I don't feel that this mead requires it, but if I were could I add that at the same time as well? Or should I do each of these steps at different times?

I am somewhat pressed for time as I just returned from a trip and I am leaving again soon but I don't want to fudge this one up with my own impatience.

Medsen Fey

Fuselier since 2007
Premium Patron
Yes, Bentonite will bind proteins including enzymes so adding the two at the same time is not useful.

Depending on the recipe here, there may be several possible approaches, but if it still has visible clumps it is not even close to being ready for bottling.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns