PDA

View Full Version : Carbonation

MikeysMead
05-02-2013, 01:47 PM
This is my second batch of Mead, so I'm still very much a noob. My first batch of Mead turned out perfectley, and is currently split into 5 different 1 gallon jugs, brewing 5 different Melomels. They taste fantastic, and should be superb when complete, with one exception. They are higher in alcohol content than most others(my wife, sister, etc) would enjoy.

So, i've got my second 5 gallon batch currently brewing, and its current gravity indicates its around 12% alcohol. I believe its taste and alcohol percent are perfect where its at. How can I, stop the fermentation, and still retain its current CO2 levels, but still make it safe to bottle? I have the required compounds to halt the fermentation.(Campden tablets, Potassium Sorbate) Doing this however, would take away my abillity to use priming sugar. Most of the CO2 would gas out during any further racking, and over time waiting for it to clear. I've read that you can add yeast again, along with the priming sugar, but no where have I been able to find exact amounts to do so. I'll be using EZ cap, 1 liter bottles to bottle into.(Perhaps I could save a sample of the current, live batch and add back pre-bottle?)

Here is my exact recipe:
15lbs honey.
1 cup Orange Juice.
3 Teaspoons Nutrient
3 Teaspoons Energizer
1 packet of Lalvin-D47
Filtered Water to top
120 raisins(added day 3)

As of posting, this batch has been brewing for 5 days. I'm trying to save on some cash, and not have to purchase a Carbonating system. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

Bluespark
05-02-2013, 01:54 PM
The best cheap way to do this(that I know of) is to calculate how much honey you need to reach a certain percentage, let it ferment dry, allow it to clear, rack, back sweeten and bottle.

MikeysMead
05-02-2013, 02:06 PM
Yeah, I think this is my only real option, short of purchasing a carbonation system.

mannye
05-02-2013, 05:58 PM
Seems like you would really do yourself a favor if you got a corny keg and a CO2 tank with a regulator. I know you're trying to save money, but I can forsee something funky happening to your mead with all the racking/bottling, etc

It would suck to lose a batch!

Chevette Girl
05-03-2013, 12:01 AM
+1 on brew it dry, add priming sugar/honey, bottle and allow to bottle-carbonate. I would recommend you make a batch with less honey. Now, you could always let the one you've got go dry, then make a batch of something significantly weaker and then mix the two, then prime and bottle if you wanted to mellow the alcohol a bit, although if it's the hot taste of alcohol that bothers your target consumers, time really can help with that too.

It's a real challenge to get something sweet and bottle-carbonated. It's not impossible, but stopping your fermentation before it's done isn't a particularly safe way to do it.

One of the neat things about hydromels (under around 8%) is that they're often done fast and can be carbonated quickly, safely and easily. That, and they're less expensive because you're only using half as much honey!