PDA

View Full Version : Bad tastes

o0LuNeStA0o
05-06-2013, 05:52 PM
Hello all, it's been awhile since I've come here for advice, but here I am.

Back in February I started making batches of mead and every recipe I used I followed exactly as written. I've done JAOM, Joe's Quick Grape mead, and Poor Man's Cyser. They are all done with the fermentation process, however I wouldn't really drink any of them. The JAOM has a real bad pithy taste, which I'm aware happens for some people when they attempt it. I guess it should age out. But I'm more concerned about the other 2. Poor Man's Cyser was supposed to be done in a week (which I wasn't expecting anyway) but about 2 months later it still tastes really hot. Maybe I could add some apple juice to it?

The quick grape also tastes really really rough. Do I just need to be more patient with these?

Thanks in advance.

fatbloke
05-06-2013, 10:36 PM
"2 months later" ?

Only another 10 months to wait then..........

Jas53
05-07-2013, 07:37 AM
I haven't had any JOAM even fully drop the fruit in 2 months. Patience!!

o0LuNeStA0o
05-09-2013, 01:58 AM
Ok, that's what I figured -______-

Marshmallow Blue
05-09-2013, 08:46 AM
Make another batch while you wait. Managing one mead, helps with the wait of other meads.

porcupine73
05-09-2013, 08:24 PM
Yes age seems to solve many problems. My oldest meads are about 9 months, and they are somewhat drinkable, but they tasted like bad cough syrup mixed with listerine at bottling.

It can help to have something else to drink in the meantime, such as some beers or honey beer. I did some ginger 'ale' with sugar, and some honey 'beer', and those, while not excellent, definitely tided me over until the meads were at least bearable. I'm socking away meads as much as possible to enjoy in years to come.

Chevette Girl
05-10-2013, 10:48 AM
Hydromels can be drinkable quickly too and are kind of fun to play with, my ginger hydromel was good at a month or two and I've had others that would've been tasty if I'd bothered to bottle them that early :) Gives you a chance to play with carbonation too ;D