• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Secondary fermenter question

Barrel Char Wood Products

Solomon

NewBee
Registered Member
May 8, 2013
I started a mead about 11 weeks ago. 15 lbs of honey for a 5-gallon batch. Used Wyeast's Sweet Mead yeast with a starter. Heated water to disolve the honey. Added Fermaid K (5 grams at the beginning). Degassed a few times in the first couple of weeks by stirring vigorously and added a few more grams of Fermaid in the 6.5-gallon bucket. I never saw any activity in the airlock, but hydrometer readings indicated we got to 8% alcohol-definitely saw the gravity drop, but I can't remember OG and can't find my notes.
After five weeks we moved it to a 5-gallon glass carboy and it went crazy, actually overflowing through the air lock. It calmed down significantly after five days, but there have been bubbles coming from the mead ever since it was moved to the carboy. I haven't been brave enough to take another reading since it's still bubbling, and I'm not sure if this bubbling is even fermentation. Since we're coming up on six weeks in the secondary on Sunday, I wasn't sure what I should do. Has this happened to anyone else? Any advice or explanation? Thanks!

Kansas Mead

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Mar 9, 2012
Kansas
I have had mead that bubbled after racking but only for a few days. Since your last reading was 8% alcohol, it looks like it is at the 1/2 sugar break.

If this happen to me. I would slowly stir the mead and watch for bubbles. I would continue stirring to the point in which no bubbles appeared. Then add a few grams of Fermaid K to get the yeast fermenting again. Then check the air lock for bubbles every day. If after a week of no bubbles or signs of fermentation. I would then add about 10 grams of yeast along with some Fermaid K.

Hope this helps.

fatbloke

good egg/snappy dresser.....
GotMead Patron
I have had mead that bubbled after racking but only for a few days. Since your last reading was 8% alcohol, it looks like it is at the 1/2 sugar break.

If this happen to me. I would slowly stir the mead and watch for bubbles. I would continue stirring to the point in which no bubbles appeared. Then add a few grams of Fermaid K to get the yeast fermenting again. Then check the air lock for bubbles every day. If after a week of no bubbles or signs of fermentation. I would then add about 10 grams of yeast along with some Fermaid K.

Hope this helps.
You're working on an incorrect premis......

White labs sweet meead is indeed tolerant to 15% but the OP says it was Wyeast Sweet Mead is only tolerant to 11% ABV so its 3/4s of the way through.

Hence no point in adding Fermaidk as its inorganic nitrogen. Either FermaidO if available or some boiled bread yeast or yeast hulls gently stirred in may help it finish quicker.

I'm guessing that the stirring/racking just stirred up enough to produce the nucleation points to generate the bubbles/foam.

How quickly this batch may finish depends on the extra nutrition, how much of the yeast colony was left behind when you racked and what the pH is, as if its quite low/close to 3.0 pH then it may also be slow.

Medsen Fey

Fuselier since 2007
Premium Patron
Has this happened to anyone else? Any advice or explanation? Thanks!

How do you know there is 8% ABV if you didn't check the OG?

Your fermentation is slow and sluggish - a healthy fermentation of this strength should be complete within 3 weeks. This may be partly due to this yeast strain, which tends to be finicky, but also due to the fact that it has been undernourished. Using 5 grams of Fermaid K isn't enough for 1 gallon, much less 5. Also, you don't want to wait for fermentation to stall and then try to add nutrients. You want to get them in during the first half of fermentation when they can be the most effective.

If you take a gravity reading now, perhaps folks can help you get this batch done.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Kansas Mead

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Mar 9, 2012
Kansas
You're working on an incorrect premis......

White labs sweet meead is indeed tolerant to 15% but the OP says it was Wyeast Sweet Mead is only tolerant to 11% ABV so its 3/4s of the way through.

Hence no point in adding Fermaidk as its inorganic nitrogen. Either FermaidO if available or some boiled bread yeast or yeast hulls gently stirred in may help it finish quicker.

I'm guessing that the stirring/racking just stirred up enough to produce the nucleation points to generate the bubbles/foam.

How quickly this batch may finish depends on the extra nutrition, how much of the yeast colony was left behind when you racked and what the pH is, as if its quite low/close to 3.0 pH then it may also be slow.

Thanks for correcting my error.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns