PDA

View Full Version : Original specific gravity?

Carlynbro
05-11-2013, 07:39 AM
Hi all,

I am try to figure out my original specific gravity. I did not test it when I started but have the exact recipe and heard that someone with more experience than me, so pretty much everyone, might be able to tell me my original specific gravity just from seeing the recipe. It is the following

2 gallons of h2o
8 cups of honey
11 Meyer lemons
2 lemon rinds
2 cinnamon sticks
1/4 cup raisins
10 peppercorns
I package of lalvin (5 grams)

Is anyone able to tell me what my o.sg is?

Thanks so much!

Carlyn

SilentJimbo
05-11-2013, 10:21 AM
Can't tell you exactly, since things like honey vary in sugar content, but can give you an estimate. What's the volume for the whole batch?

fatbloke
05-11-2013, 01:01 PM
Can't tell you exactly, since things like honey vary in sugar content, but can give you an estimate. What's the volume for the whole batch?
Well I reckon that the OP should ask the mead calculator........ linked in the left hand side dialogue box......

Which I believe presumes 80% sugar in the honey as an average......

StuckTiger11
05-11-2013, 01:53 PM
Not sure how much juice you got from the lemons, but for a 2.5 gal batch with a possible 12 fl ounces of juice from the lemons, the mead calculator says
OG: 1.091 with an ABV% of 12.

I've come to really rely on the mead calculator when figuring recipe proportions.

Kelvin
05-12-2013, 06:46 AM
The calculator is something I could never do without when making mead. I COULD if I wanted to take the time to write down and learn all the math but it's so easy and user friendly that I just pretty much count on it all the time when I'm making a batch. Speaking of which, can whoever made it make an iphone version? That would be super sexy.

Carlynbro
05-12-2013, 10:31 AM
Hi All

Thanks for the replies. Looks like I should use the calculator but this is my first batch ever and didn't know I had too:)

Silentjimbo, I think if I added the liquid volume up correctly it is 2.5 gallons. So Stucktiger's response was accurate I think.

Happy mead making everyone!

~c-bro

fatbloke
05-12-2013, 12:40 PM
Hi All

Thanks for the replies. Looks like I should use the calculator but this is my first batch ever and didn't know I had too:)

Silentjimbo, I think if I added the liquid volume up correctly it is 2.5 gallons. So Stucktiger's response was accurate I think.

Happy mead making everyone!

~c-bro
Well if you don't have a hydrometer, you could always just save a sample to test later, either when you pick one up (they're not expensive) or when you hook up with someone who already has one, just bottle it and keep it in the fridge - you can always add a campden tablet to sulphite it and it should then be fine for a good while.

You'd then be able to know what it started at, as well as any pH reading that might also be handy.

My test jar uses about 100mls for testing.......

Carlynbro
05-12-2013, 01:47 PM
I do have a hydrometer, but didn't test my original gravity ( i didn't have one then) so wasn't sure what the specific gravity has to get to when it is done...
looks like someone said that according to the recipe it was probably 1.091 to start.