PDA

View Full Version : Who likes dark honey meads?

porcupine73
05-11-2013, 08:22 PM
I've read varying things about dark honey meads. I obtained some darkish honey from my local source (don't know for sure the source, but it was pretty dark, like buckwheat dark).

I had a 5 gallon lot from Nov 2012 that I just racked for bottling. I sampled it. It definitely needs more aging, but the flavor was very interesting, and complex, like a molasses almost smokey kind of flavor. I thought it wasn't too bad, to early to drink, but with age maybe better?

I want to experiment with more batches of dark honey meads but I'm afraid of wasting precious honey if it's going to come out nasty.

SilentJimbo
05-11-2013, 09:55 PM
I've got a couple of dark honey meads on the go at the moment. One with Greek honey, which was pretty much black, that I racked a few weeks ago. It stopped fermenting 1.014, so I added a bit of sugar to bring it to 1.016, and it fermented back down to 1.014 again. Seems like some dark honeys have a lot of unfermentable sugars in them. The other's with a Mexican honey. Still in the primary. Obviously both too early to tell how they'll turn out, but I'm quite hopeful for them. The Greek honey had quite an earthy taste, whilst the Mexican was almost spicy.

Kelvin
05-14-2013, 01:48 AM
I've never had one, but I will certainly try to make one once our farm is going.

Kelvin
05-14-2013, 01:49 AM
I thought dark mead was from boiling and burning the honey, not the honey itself..... ?

fatbloke
05-14-2013, 02:33 AM
I thought dark mead was from boiling and burning the honey, not the honey itself..... ?
I suspect the OP was alluding to meads from honey like buckwheat, avocado, and other similar dark coloured honey (I can get NZ rewarewa here), rather than bochet which is the burned/caramelised honey mead......

porcupine73
05-14-2013, 08:29 AM
Thanks, those are interesting ideas. I didn't know about the boiling / caramelizing of the honey. I was thinking more of the different 'varieties' of honey such as buckwheat and thistle.

I saw some people saying for buckwheat it needs to be a western (US) buckwheat, that the eastern doesn't produce as good a mead.

I'm going to try some with thistle honey, that seems a little darker, maybe a bit darker than amber, but without going full out to say buckwheat right away.

fatbloke
05-14-2013, 01:31 PM
Thanks, those are interesting ideas. I didn't know about the boiling / caramelizing of the honey. I was thinking more of the different 'varieties' of honey such as buckwheat and thistle.

I saw some people saying for buckwheat it needs to be a western (US) buckwheat, that the eastern doesn't produce as good a mead.

I'm going to try some with thistle honey, that seems a little darker, maybe a bit darker than amber, but without going full out to say buckwheat right away.
Well I can't say for certain, but the darkest one I've seen a picture of is Avocado and that looked as dark as molasses in the picture....

WVMJack
05-14-2013, 08:14 PM
In the midatlantic in the US we have an upcoming tuplip poplar flow, its pretty dark and makes wonderful mead. I have tried some buckwheat honey, some batches were good, others we couldnt finish the small bottle it was so rough. We try to delevlope a taste for it but no so much. We are planting it again this year, more to give the bees some pollen and nectar during the July dearth around here but if we get a little of it mixed in with fall wildflower mead I think it will be veyy good. WVMJ

skunkboy
05-14-2013, 08:17 PM
I like mead made from darker honey, including eastern buckwheat honey, just take a while to age a mellow out a bit...

Beavis
05-17-2013, 03:49 PM
I've used palmeto honey, it doesnt look very dark but it sure tastes like it.
Very heavy and rich flavor, I like it.