PDA

View Full Version : Prestige WD yeast?

Shodan
05-16-2013, 08:44 PM
Hello all. My son and I are soon to attempt our first batch of mead. We plan to use 15 lbs of raw orange blossom honey, top up to 5 gallons using spring water, some yeast nutrient from thebeveragepeople.com, and yeast.

I'm wondering whether it would be ok to use a couple packets of Prestige WD yeast I have in the fridge. It's intended use is to make whiskey, but I'm thinking of trying it in the must.

Any thoughts on this from the experts? Thanks.

fatbloke
05-16-2013, 10:05 PM
Well you can do but its a turbo type yeast, which arent selected generally for their flavour enhancing qualities (actually that one is).

I'd have thought you'd be better placed using a "proper" wine yeast.....

kuri
05-17-2013, 01:26 AM
I'd say it's a matter of what you're after. If you want to make a standard mead that tastes like a mead should it's best to follow the standard procedures, which in the case of yeast means using a wine yeast. If you're after knowledge and are willing to take a risk by challenging the standard procedure then use the whisky yeast. It could turn out to be the best thing you've ever tasted. Or not. That's the joy of experimentation.

Marshmallow Blue
05-17-2013, 11:13 AM
The Turbo yeast might be better for a smaller test batch. You don't want to lose 15 pounds of honey to a yeast that's going to make your mead worse. That' my 2 cents.

Shodan
05-17-2013, 08:56 PM
Thanks for the input. A local brew shop has Lalvin 1118. I may use that for the first batch, and then use the Prestige in my second batch. I will post when I get results and let you know how it turned out.

kuri
05-18-2013, 09:58 AM
Just out of curiosity, is "Shodan" a reference to a shogi level, or a martial arts level, or some such?

Shodan
05-18-2013, 02:21 PM
It means black belt. I got mine last year, Shotokan karate :)

I do believe today is the day to start the first batch of mead! Using the Lalvin 1118.

Medsen Fey
05-19-2013, 07:40 PM
If that yeast packet contains a bunch of enzymes for breaking down starch, it is probably a good idea to use a different yeast. EC-1118 wouldn't be my first choice but it will work. K1V is a better option if you can get it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Shodan
05-19-2013, 10:05 PM
Thanks Medsen, I actually have decided to use the K1V on my next batch, for which I have already ordered the honey.

For this batch the OG came in at 1108. About 12 hrs after pitching the rehydrated 1118, I threw in two teaspoons of the nutrient and a teaspoon of ammonium phosphate crystals dissolved in water. The ph dropped to 3.1; after stirring in a teaspoon of calcium carbonate the ph is now up to 3.6.

It smells great and is bumping along now at about an airlock bubble every 3-4 seconds. I plan to aerate it by stirring 3 times a day and keep an eye on the ph. I might give it another teaspoon of nutrient tomorrow.

Is there anything else I should be doing/thinking about?