• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

DV10 yeast, does this look normal?

Barrel Char Wood Products

khillian

NewBee
Registered Member
May 14, 2012
Ahoy Gotmead,

I brewed up this hydromel last Monday (6lbs of wild flower honey) (water to get to 5 gallons) on 5/13, rehydrated go-ferm with 8grams of DV10 yeast as per instructions. I had issues cooling down into the 60s to pitch, it took 3 hours to get from 76 to 60 covered the carboy with sanitized aluminum foil. Fermentation took off great within 24 hours, and slowly let it rise up to 70 as of today. I fed it fermaid k/dap 48 hours after pitching, and another dose on day 5 (stirred slowly with sanitized racking cane). I noticed when I moved it out of my cooler to room temps last night that some bubbles formed on the top, it was clear before moving it with Champaign like bubbles. Is this normal for DV10 or do I have an infection? I am mostly a beer brewer and my sanitation process has yet led to an infected batch of beer. I plan on cold crashing this once its done and kegging it with a little carbonation.

942937_819208607770_1354809547_n.jpg

Cheers,
-khillian

Marshmallow Blue

NewBee
Registered Member
Its pretty hard to tell at this point I think. How old is it? It could be yeasty bubbles, or it maybe is some kind of infection. See what it looks like in another month or so. If it is infected, you can be member number two of the lambic mead club. If not, then you enjoy your hydromel as planned.

If the carboy got infected there's no sense in not souring stuff in it since the risk of re-infection is going to be higher anyways.

So yeah if you're concerened about infection I would quarantine it, and not use any of you racking equipment for it and see what it does. But yeah, it could just be yeast bubbles.

khillian

NewBee
Registered Member
May 14, 2012
Hey Marshmallow Blue,

The mead is a week old today, the airlock has definitely slowed down (smells less honey more alcohol/sulfur as it has been warming up to 70. As I only added 6 lbs. of honey for a 5 gallon batch it should be done pretty quick?. Wouldn't this have to be some hearty infection to outcompete the yeast + alcohol? I also added Add 5 g (3/4 tsp) Potassium Carbonate to the must before pitching as per recipe.

How long would you age this before cold crashing and putting into a keg?

Thanks,
-khillian

fatbloke

good egg/snappy dresser.....
GotMead Patron
The alcohol smell ? Fine.

Sulphur or even hydrogen sulphides ? Possible stressed yeast.

The picture seems to show yeast bubbles.

So if the batch has passed the 1/3rd break, either FermaidO if available, failing that some boiled bread yeast, a crushed vitamin B1 tablet and a handful of raisins.......should do the trick

Marshmallow Blue

NewBee
Registered Member
It should be done fermenting pretty quick, and done aging faster than a standard strength mead. As far as the infection goes, most of these brewing bacterias are pretty hardy, which is why is general practice to have separate equipment for sours and non sours, because they are pretty resilient, even to standard sanitation practices.

However, the yeast will have likely eaten all of the sugars before the bacteria can get to them. But the bacteria will eat at the lees and what not.

Once it is clear and the gravity is stable, then you can put it in your serving container of choice. Edit: and again we can't be sure if its an infection this early.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns