• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Cranberry Melomel, bottling and sorbate

Barrel Char Wood Products

theEnvoy

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Oct 25, 2012
North East Georgia
I have a one gallon cranberry melomel started on 3/4/13 with a SG of 1.142. Lalvin 71-B yeast. Jug has cleared, a vanilla bean I added dropped to the bottom, and FG has remained at 1.05 for several weeks. If my calcs. are correct, I should have an ABV of 12.07%. While the FG of 1.05 sounds like a lot of residual sweetness, it tastes very good, apparently offsetting the tartness of the Cranberry Juice.

I have read that cranberries contain malic acid, and a wine site said that you should not sorbate a malolactic fermentation, the result being a geranium like smell. I assume there would be some malolactic fermentation with this blend.

I would like to bottle eventually, but I am at a dilemma: 1) bottle with no metabisulfite or sorbate and risk bottle bombs, or 2) bottle with metabisulfite and no sorbate and pray that fermentation does not restart.

Any advice would be appreciated, I don't want to mess this up, it's going to be good...

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns