PDA

View Full Version : Help/ Suggestions

jgoehring
05-22-2013, 03:44 PM
I bottled a 1 gallon batch of cinnamon and clove metheglin about two weeks ago. The batch had been bulk ageing for about 4 months and I thought I would bottle age this batch since I had another gallon of the same bulk ageing. I had previously hit this batch with sulfites and sorbate before adding some like oak chips which were soaked in a campden solution for twenty four hours. I let it sit on the oak chips for two weeks racked and then added some isinglass to clarify. After 10 days I racked off the isinglass. I then soaked the corks for a day in a campden solution and sanitized the bottles as well. So after checking on the bottles today 1 out of the five looks like it dropped a lot of dust like sediment out of the solution. The rest are crystal clear. The storage room for the wines is fifty five degrees and had a slight up swing today to fifty nine. Is this an infection or maybe because of the tannins from the oak.

Marshmallow Blue
05-22-2013, 03:56 PM
the dusty bottle was likely the last bottle which had the most yeasty sediments remaining.

jgoehring
05-22-2013, 04:03 PM
That is what I was leaning towards. Its just the amount that suddenly appeared gave cause for concern. I think I will uncork and run through a filter. Hopefully that will do the trick.