PDA

View Full Version : Reserve Du Chateau Wine Kits???

PitBull
06-01-2013, 10:11 AM
I concentrate on my meads and wines made from 6 gallon buckets of pure California and PA juices. However, I still make the occasional wine kit.

I recently got a deal on a Reserve Du Chateau Liebfraumilch kit under $35, and that includes labels, corks and shipping. It's listed at 17.5 pounds to make six gallons of wine, so obviously the juice is a concentrate. Even when not on sale, the various kits' delivered prices are only around $50.

I'd like to get feedback on these wine kits from anybody here that has tried them. I don't expect it to be as good as Blue Nun or Black Tower, but I'm hoping it end up at least a bit better than "drinkable".

It's already ordered and I'll post the results after its had time to age a few months.

fatbloke
06-02-2013, 05:31 AM
I concentrate on my meads and wines made from 6 gallon buckets of pure California and PA juices. However, I still make the occasional wine kit.

I recently got a deal on a Reserve Du Chateau Liebfraumilch kit under $35, and that includes labels, corks and shipping. It's listed at 17.5 pounds to make six gallons of wine, so obviously the juice is a concentrate. Even when not on sale, the various kits' delivered prices are only around $50.

I'd like to get feedback on these wine kits from anybody here that has tried them. I don't expect it to be as good as Blue Nun or Black Tower, but I'm hoping it end up at least a bit better than "drinkable".

It's already ordered and I'll post the results after its had time to age a few months.
Now while I don't really drink white wines, I'd suggest that carefully made kits like this should exceed BN or BT type wines. They're really quite rubbishy stuff, made, blended and marketed at the masses who are just interested in brands and labels.

A lot of the half decent kits can be made quite well, without too much effort and just following the instructions.

It does seem though, that the more you pay for a kit, the better it is.

Maybe it might be worth just buying it, then mixing the concentrate as instructed and then adding honey to make a pyment........

Your choice of course........

Yet, hell, if it makes a nice, quick, easy to drink brew, then WTF! it probably still works out cheaper per bottle......