• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Corrections on my newbie recipe?

Barrel Char Wood Products

meadnoob_83

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 5, 2013
Trying to understand mead making here.. been doing a tonne of research but still don't understand a lot. I've never made any kind of brew in my life. Anyone wanna help a newbie out? I know that my first mistake may be rushing the aging... but here's a recipe I've been formulating (feel free to give advice, correct, or suggest quantities of anything that doesn't have a quantity!):

5 gallon batch:

Ingredients: 20 Pounds Honey, Top off spring water to 5 gallons, Citric Acid, Tannin?
Yeast: Lalvin D-47/GoFerm
Nutrient: Fermaid K, Diammonium Phosphate
Stabilization: Potassium Metabisulfite, Potassium Sorbate
Fining Agent: Bentonite
Backsweeten: Honey/water solution

Sterilize equipment. Combine honey and water in carboy. Add the Fermaid K, diammonium phosphate, and the citric acid. Stir well. Let the D-47/GoFerm set in warm water as instructed, and then stir into must well to aerate. Replace stopper with airlock, half fill with water.

2 Weeks later: Siphon to secondary 5 gallon carboy.

6 weeks later: Rack once again, add potassium metabisulphite. Wait 2 days until adding potassium sorbate.

2 Weeks later: Rack into carboy with honey/water solution at bottom (possibly more citric acid).

1 Week later: Rack again into carboy and add bentonite.

1 Week later (3 month mark): Bottle.

I have no idea what I’m doing. I feel as if my recipe may explode.

Last edited:

Yo momma

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 14, 2007
Flint, Michigan
Your recipe will make a mead, congats, however 3 months till bottling is pretty risky. Have you taken Hydrometer readings? What were they? H0w far apart are the tests?

If u bottle too early you risk making bottle bombs at the worse and popping corks possible. It may also carbonate due to light fermentation in the bottle.

WVMJack

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 12, 2013
Karnage, WV
www.wvmjack.com
If you are using fermaidK I dont think you need to add any DAP. Your first mistake is putting mead on a timetable, you have to work with your mead, not try to tell it what to do. Do you have a hydrometer, you need one of those to tell you when you can go from step 1 to step 2, calanders are not a substitute. Relax and enjoy it, after your first batch clears and you get to taste it it will be worth it. Many helpful folk on here who will argue with each other over how you should make your mead :):) I add acid to mine, others go in a completely different way being overly concerned with small changes in the pH due to weak acids, but everyone makes good mead. WVMJ

THawk

Crazy Martian Cat
GotMead Patron
First of all, 3 months for anything other than bread yeast is too soon. I also agree that putting mead on a timetable is not a good idea.

Also, depending on where you're located, D47 may or may not be appropriate given that it doesn't really like hot weather. It'll work, but you're gonna end up with jet fuel which will take more than 3 months to age out.

If you've never made any kind of brew in your life, might I suggest you start with Joe's Ancient Orange Mead (JAOM), which is the simplest recipe to do. Also peruse the Newbee Guide for more info.

Good luck!

meadnoob_83

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 5, 2013
Thanks for the advice guys. Alright so time set aside, say I let it do it's own thing, is everything else looking ok? Should I add tannin at all? Any suggestions for quantities of of any of the chemicals? Also, the reason I chose DAP wih the Fermaid K was because I read that adding the DAP itself will add more nitrogen which is good for the yeast.. should I still skip that? I will be taking hydrometer readings of course when I actually make the batch, I just wanna triple check that it will even work out :p Measure 3 times, cut once

fatbloke

good egg/snappy dresser.....
GotMead Patron
Mostly pretty good but don't put any acid in the must up front. If you just did a pH test of just honey and water you'd find it's already acidic enough.

Oh and for traditionals, I stay away from citric acid. It gives too much of a citrus/lemony flavour. I use a mix recommended in Ashton and Duncans book "Making Mead" which is a mix of 2 parts malic and 1 part tartaric. Its added to taste at the end of the making process......

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns