PDA

View Full Version : Question on JAO with Pic

McJeff
06-05-2013, 06:19 AM
http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm251/yeoson/A51ED520-B293-4E0C-AD86-B654DC2D7438-9134-000013873F1F9650_zps99e182c8.jpg

This is about 6 hours after pitching the yeast, I expected a lot more activity. I disolved the honey in Luke warm water, added that to carboy and topped it off with cold water. The sides of the carboy felt slightly warm when I added the bread yeast. Did I leave too much head space? It seems I can screw up even this recipe :(

Yo momma
06-05-2013, 07:16 AM
When I first started to make mead a wise man said "have a mead and relax". With that being said, your mead looks great. Perfect headspace, you want to have more than enough rather then not enough, trust me.

smertz001
06-05-2013, 07:47 AM
That looks just fine. As JAO is known for being aggressive in it's bubbling. You should be okay and not have it hit the air lock and have a MEA (Mead Explosion Accident)

So, sit back and enjoy the waiting. (=

McJeff
06-05-2013, 08:36 AM
I guess from reading the recipe I just expected more aggressive activity. Just had it I mind when I when woke up I would see some serious action.

The_Bishop
06-05-2013, 09:38 AM
'Aggressive' is all relative in meadmaking. The main ingredient needed is 'time' followed closely by 'patience'.

McJeff
06-05-2013, 10:46 AM
Well it's already doin a lot more than my other. Guess ill take it into the basement. ;)

maxmurder
06-05-2013, 02:28 PM
According to the directions, you can fill it to the neck with water after a few days of fermentation. That's what I did with mine.

fatbloke
06-05-2013, 02:47 PM
According to the directions, you can fill it to the neck with water after a few days of fermentation. That's what I did with mine.
Yes but I happily leave mine for a week or two with no apparent ill effects......

McJeff
06-06-2013, 04:31 PM
Kinda a preemptive question. This is a 5g batch and I used 18lbs of honey. The bread yeast kind peters out quickly. If for some reason this mead is too sweet for my liking. Is it recommended to re ferment it? Is that even possible?

Calehedron
06-06-2013, 04:43 PM
Mine was about the level of yours for the first 3 days then I topped up to the turn. After about an hour it erupted out the airlock for about 6 hours. Left it there for a few more days and then added more water to just below necking up. It flared a bit for just for a few minutes and its held a fine white head ever since.

McJeff
06-06-2013, 09:04 PM
Does the honey settle and separate? Noticing its not as dark as it was but there is a dark layer at the bottom.

Chevette Girl
06-06-2013, 09:18 PM
That can happen. You can either give it a good stir or leave it, as the yeast decrease the amount of honey in the top liquid, more honey will dissolve until it's all been eaten anyway.

If you find it's too sweet, it's probably better to make another drier batch (less honey) and blend them later, rather than trying to get another yeast to finish the job without going too far (JAO is gross when it's too dry, the sweetness is balanced by the acidity and bitterness from the orange peel).

McJeff
06-07-2013, 07:53 AM
Guess ill just have to wait ;)

McJeff
06-11-2013, 07:29 PM
Now I know the recipe says top off carboy after 3-4 days. But this hasn't let up feementing at all still goin strong. Do I dare?

Calehedron
06-12-2013, 11:36 AM
Referencing my post above, when I topped up to the curve after 4 days it erupted out of the airlock for 6 or so hours. After that it calmed down and then I added a bit more to just below the neck at 11 days and it erupted slightly for 20 minutes or so and its been fine ever since. I'm thinking about making a blow off tube airlock with a 2-liter soda bottle to contain any eruptions after topping off.

Coming up on 3 weeks for mine now, bubbling has slowed down to once every 7 seconds and not as much activity in the must. Its already at 1.020 and still going so I will most likely have to add a bit more honey when I rack it off to age. It doesn't taste bad, just the pith slightly overpowering everything but I can taste the honey and the cloves/cinnamon numb the tongue and cheeks slightly. Warms on the way down and at the bottom.

Keep it up and be patient and we shall have an internet toast in a few months.

McJeff
06-12-2013, 01:13 PM
haha well I topped it off to the neck and boom it goes. Well just foam everywhere. But still a mess.

huesmann
06-18-2013, 02:24 PM
Congrats! Your first MEA (mead eruption accident)!

McJeff
06-18-2013, 03:28 PM
I can't get over how much fermenting this thing is doin.

McJeff
07-03-2013, 01:06 PM
So I finally topped of the carboy with water again. The top 1/3 is a lighter consistancy. Short of stirring, how would I mix the top 1/3 with the rest below? Really didn't want to bother the sediment at the bottom.

joemirando
07-03-2013, 02:19 PM
Now I know the recipe says top off carboy after 3-4 days. But this hasn't let up feementing at all still goin strong. Do I dare?
As you see by my sig line, this is the hardest part for me. But I force myself to add only half as much as I think I can get away with, and only half as often as I want to. I haven't had an MEA since. <fingers crossed, knocking wood, throwing salt over shoulder and spitting three times on the ground>

Hang in there,

Joe

McJeff
07-03-2013, 08:17 PM
Know the recipe doesn't call for it, but I want to rack it into another carboy to mix it better.

xopher425
07-03-2013, 10:13 PM
Hope you let it sit longer. The honey in the bottom will get eaten up, and will mix in. I have had layers on all of my JAOs and JAOVs, and did use my Thief to stir it up, but I did that the first day or so only. Racking will cause some loss of honey from it sticking in the bottom. Plus, it's a lot more work.

I really gotta learn patience myself; I kept adding water to mine, and had a lot of MEAs - especially with my blackberry, those light little buggers kept flying right out of the carboy. The first time the airlock was wedged under a shelf, so it contented itself with spraying everywhere. Future batches will always be made in a bucket from now on.

Chevette Girl
07-04-2013, 06:59 AM
Don't worry about "bothering the sediment", you really can't hurt it, and thought it's counter-intuitive, regular stirring can actually help things clear faster (even if Joe says not to in this recipe, it still won't hurt anything). I hope you didn't leave too much honey behind when you racked it. I only rack JAO's once the mead has cleared and the fruit has started to sink. As others have said, layered honey is not the end of the world, the yeast will eventually get to it but you have to leave them alone long enough to do it :)

McJeff
07-04-2013, 01:11 PM
I never did rack it, though I might give it a stir.

McJeff
07-07-2013, 10:43 AM
I'm sure I'm not the first or wil be the last. But don't eat the raisins.

THawk
07-07-2013, 11:06 AM
I'm sure I'm not the first or wil be the last. But don't eat the raisins.

Actually the raisins come out better than any other fruit I've had in the bucket. Apples and blueberries are just downright disgusting (well, the sweetness is gone and the alcohol kick is just brutal)... ;D

McJeff
07-07-2013, 02:33 PM
hah well good to know. Never eat the fruit.

rmccask
07-07-2013, 07:00 PM
After reading about TheAlchemist making drunken banana bread with his leftover banana, I was actually hoping to take all the blueberry leftover and use that for making drunken blueberry muffins. I may still try it unless the stuff is so disgusting that I convince myself otherwise once I get to that point.

TheAlchemist
07-07-2013, 11:08 PM
After reading about TheAlchemist making drunken banana bread with his leftover banana, I was actually hoping to take all the blueberry leftover and use that for making drunken blueberry muffins. I may still try it unless the stuff is so disgusting that I convince myself otherwise once I get to that point.

Ahem..."his?"

rmccask
07-08-2013, 12:13 AM
LOL. Oops, I was looking up who had made the comment about the banana bread my wife and kids started dragging me away from the computer. I was trying to post in a hurry and completely missed that detail of my text. I really gotta proof read before I post... Sorry, no insult intended.

ScotRob
07-08-2013, 06:22 PM
my first batch of JAOM too a good 48 hours before signs of fermentation, and even then it never got really aggressive...it just bubbled along (one airlock bubble every 30 secs-1 minute) for about 3 months before clearing and leaving me with a delicious mead...there are no hard and fast rules with JAOM, except: 1. Follow the recipe exactly 2. Be patient!

mannye
07-10-2013, 03:43 PM
my first batch of JAOM too a good 48 hours before signs of fermentation, and even then it never got really aggressive...it just bubbled along (one airlock bubble every 30 secs-1 minute) for about 3 months before clearing and leaving me with a delicious mead...there are no hard and fast rules with JAOM, except: 1. Follow the recipe exactly 2. Be patient!

x2

Stop messing with it! Mine has been sitting there for three weeks now and after the initial week of spirited foaming, settled down to a slow sizzle where it has been since. I've really never seen so much fermenting for so long!

I'm new to mead and it takes a lot to not want to do stuff to it. Beer is much more "busy." JAOM is like the Ronco Mead... Set it and.......

McJeff
07-18-2013, 11:27 AM
How long have people waited before bottling?

mannye
07-18-2013, 03:32 PM
How long have people waited before bottling?

Bottling? HA! I doubt it's going to last long enough to be "bottled" more like decanted into a jug and consumed...

McJeff
07-18-2013, 04:21 PM
hah true, but then again I made 5 gallons and I want to give some away to friends ;)

xopher425
07-18-2013, 04:50 PM
I drank almost a gallon (out of three) before I got around to bottling. Wait until the fruit drops and it's clear. You can bottle it a little cloudy, it just leaves stuff on the bottoms of your bottle. It doesn't affect taste. I waited for mine to get crystal clear and still have a tiny bit of sediment in the bottles. A few people around have mentioned going against the instructios and racking to another carboy and letting it sit a few weeks before bottling too get it really clear.

If you move your carboy, give it a week to settle again, as the lees fluff up really easily.

Then you get to have the fun designing labels, for that really sharp look.

Sent from my Galaxy S II

McJeff
07-19-2013, 05:55 AM
Perfect just what I wanted! Nice looking stuff, I'm just putting mine in 1 liter mason jars much cheaper that way.

McJeff
07-27-2013, 08:51 AM
http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm251/yeoson/0E7ED12E-F669-41CE-AD57-94E47011A294-14172-0000030DB10CDE0E_zps8d4cd832.jpg

Just under two months as my fruit is finally starting to drop! What is the process that makes the fruit drop?

mannye
07-27-2013, 11:44 AM
I looks great! Mine is already clear, but the fruit is still happily floating up on top. Have you stuck a thief or a straw in there to get a taste yet?

McJeff
07-27-2013, 11:56 AM
Few weeks ago I did still a very strong honey/sweet taste. Will be trying it again soon. 4th will be 2 months was goin to wait till then.

Vance G
07-27-2013, 12:22 PM
Mine is only approaching two weeks from pitching and I can't wait for it to get done. Still an active fermentation or degassing going on.

xopher425
07-27-2013, 12:48 PM
Looks great! The longer you wait, the better it tastes.

I believe that all the CO2 from the fermenting is what holds the fruit up. After a few months, it all escapes, letting the fruit drop. By then it's fairly clear, too.

In the mean time, start another batch! This one will be gone before you know it.

Sent from my Galaxy S II

McJeff
07-27-2013, 01:08 PM
Goin to start another, just haven't gotten around to buying another carboy. Not sure what I'm goin to make either :(

McJeff
07-28-2013, 08:28 PM
So I just tasted it at 7 weeks. Still had a strong honey/syrup think taste. Used 18 lbs for 5 gallons. Now that is done fermenting, will that still mellow out?