PDA

View Full Version : Progress

Kelvin
06-11-2013, 11:32 PM
Hey everyone,

We've been here in Virginia for about a week and a half now and let me tell you we did not expect what we saw when we got here. We realize that people need time to mourn and decide what goes where or whatever, but we basiclly came here with most of my fiancee's grandmother's things still in the house, 4 cats (her Uncle has been coming over and taking care of them) and everything pretty much stinking and dirty like a 90 year old woman with cats lived here... which she did : ) I any case, it's been a lot of work but things are progressing. We are going to Bush Hog and plow the field on Thursday and then we'll get our first crops planted. The aquaponics building is going up as soon as possible hopefully by the end of this month. All the while we are looking for real jobs. Needless to say, there is much work to be done.

For those of you who were promised honey and or an engraved hive they are coming too. Unfortunately, absolutely no one seems to have any bee packages available. If I can't find any this season I will pre-order as soon as possible then start them in April or so. The hives will be as said and if I promised you honey you'll get it. Just not until about June of 2014. Everything else is going well and I'll send you the available seeds in July like I said.

I'll give more updates after all this wretched housework is done. I'm excited to send you photos of the crops and the aquaponics system.

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m144/nivbot/IMG_0263.jpg (http://s103.photobucket.com/user/nivbot/media/IMG_0263.jpg.html)

Front of our place... the land goes way way back

WVMJack
06-12-2013, 03:45 AM
You would be fortunate to get any honey from packages their first year here, not impossible but fortunate. The early packages that were put in this year got a snow on them right after they were hived and then a week of cold weather, the later packages are doing better. WVMJ

balath
06-12-2013, 09:05 AM
Welcome to Virginia. It looks like you have your work cut out for you, but if you ever get a chance for a weekend vacation, message me and I can recommend some great day trips in the western, central, and northern Virginia areas.

I am more than a little in love with this state and happy to share recommendations.

TheAlchemist
06-13-2013, 03:25 PM
Call the bees! Sing for them! Maybe a swarm will find you!

A swarm of bees in May
Is worth a load of hay
A swarm of bees in June
Is worth a silver spoon