PDA

View Full Version : To pasteurize or not to pasteurize

moridin
06-12-2013, 03:29 AM
Hey guys, this is my first attempt at brewing anything. I am going to be making a raspberry mead.
My local home brew store has been super helpful yet when it came to asking if i should pasteurize my honey or not the guys really didn't have a definite answer besides "its safer to simply pasteurize". I spend some good money getting 6kg of quality raw clover honey and i do not want to destroy the flavor. Should i pasteurize? or is there anything else i can do to reduce the risk of botching this batch without pasteurizing?
Any feedback is welcome, thanks in advance

Moridin

Midnight Sun
06-12-2013, 03:47 AM
Welcome to Got Mead!

Regarding pasteurization, there is no need to do so. Most here (myself included) use no-heat recipes. As you mention, you'll only drive off the delicate aromatics and not have any real upside.

Most folks advocating pasteurization come from a beer brewing background where everything needs to be boiled. Honey may contain dormant spores, but any bugs that wake up will be quickly overwhelmed by the yeast. Otherwise, microbes that happen to land in honey tend to die due to the high sugar/low water content of honey.

Since you are new, I recommend that you wander over to the "NewBee Guide", link is over to the left. The guide is full of great information and will help to get you started.