• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Mead distribution laws?

Barrel Char Wood Products

Andrew1212

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 19, 2013
So what are the distribution laws for mead? I know that selling without a wine license is a no no. But I have also heard that bartering and charging for shipping is also frowned upon. Thank you. :)

Midnight Sun

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 13, 2010
Anchorage, Alaska
Helps to know where you're from ;). Being from the US, my perspective will reflective of those laws although most nations will likely have a similar statutes.

Shipping alcohol through the US Postal Service is illegal, IIRC. It is permissible for private carriers to ship, though.

Sale or barter of any alcoholic product without a license is illegal. Plain and simple. The distillation of alcohol without a license is also illegal, with the notable exception of New Zealand (lucky fellas!). It is permissible to gift alcohol, however.

From my own experience, several members of my family do not care to make beer or mead nor have the space, but appreciate that the cost of raw materials can be somewhat expensive. Said individuals will purchase the honey, malt, etc. and I do all the labor. Works out well for everyone.

Welcome to Got Mead!

PitBull

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 25, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Isn't there also a cap on how much you can brew per year for ... ahem ... "personal" consumption? :D
It's 100 gallons per person or 200 gallons per household for 2 or more adults each calendar year.

That is a LOT of personal comsumption.

smertz001

Premium Patron
Premium Patron
Nov 13, 2012
Houston, TX
smertz.net
Helps to know where you're from ;). Being from the US, my perspective will reflective of those laws although most nations will likely have a similar statutes.

You also have to be careful of the state you live in as well as each state as their own rules. Texas, you cannot have something shipped into, unless they have a TABC license for distribution within the state. This includes private citizens shipping to other private citizens. Like your family sending you a bottle of something is not allowed, and most couriers will not allow it as they could also get into trouble for doing it.

Best thing you can do is check your local laws and regulations, most of which you can find online under their official government site.

Welcome to the fun! (=

fatbloke

good egg/snappy dresser.....
GotMead Patron
Ha ha.......

A marvellous first post......

Most start with "what am I doing wrong" or "how do I......"

So the "I have this can of worms, how can I open it" type question is brilliant :D

Apart from that, don't know as our laws on shipping etc, while normally quite restrictive wouldn't apply on the western side of the pond.....though I did manage to send a friend in north eastern Oklahoma a half bottle of 180 proof absinthe via Royal Mail/USPS......

And of course, welcome to the forums Andrew1212.......

THawk

Crazy Martian Cat
GotMead Patron
Ha ha.......

A marvellous first post......

Most start with "what am I doing wrong" or "how do I......"

So the "I have this can of worms, how can I open it" type question is brilliant :D

Apart from that, don't know as our laws on shipping etc, while normally quite restrictive wouldn't apply on the western side of the pond.....though I did manage to send a friend in north eastern Oklahoma a half bottle of 180 proof absinthe via Royal Mail/USPS......

And of course, welcome to the forums Andrew1212.......

Well this is slightly off-topic but since we're talking about shipping laws, I learned that hong kong charges duties by weight of the item instead of its value. It was quite useful when I had to return a box of cigars via DHL. The vendor just told me to enter 2 lbs or something -- I could have added a 20kg lead weight in the box and let them pay through the nose... ;D

YogiBearMead726

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Francisco, CA
Private courier services (UPS/FedEx) will ship alcohol, but it is technically illegal for private citizens to send things. It's for that reason that most people, when declaring the contents of a package, opt for calling them "yeast samples". My personal favorite? "Lava lamps". ;)

Marshmallow Blue

NewBee
Registered Member
Private courier services (UPS/FedEx) will ship alcohol, but it is technically illegal for private citizens to send things. It's for that reason that most people, when declaring the contents of a package, opt for calling them "yeast samples". My personal favorite? "Lava lamps". ;)

I wonder if when you say yeast samples they give you the ol' raised eyebrows; three pounds is a lot of yeast!

smertz001

Premium Patron
Premium Patron
Nov 13, 2012
Houston, TX
smertz.net
One thing that I learned this passed weekend, is that in some states it is illegal to move your home brews outside of your home (I can't recall which ones specifically at this time.) So, you may want to be careful there, just in cases.

-- Steve

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns