PDA

View Full Version : 1st batch bubbling away!

rj_picou
06-19-2013, 05:46 PM
This is my first ever try at brewing anthing...I've always wanted to try mead, so why not just make some! After hours ( and hours ) of reading and YouTube, i started my 1st batch.
I'm doing a gal...i used 3# of honey, 1 med orange, 25 smashed raisins and Lalvin 71B.
Its day 5 and everything seems to be going well. i was pleasantly surprised by the sweet aroma coming out of the airlock. don't really know what i was expecting, but surprised none the less! i don't own a hydrometer, yet!

Wish me luck

B. Goldwater
06-19-2013, 05:58 PM
Welcome to Gotmead!

I recommend getting a hydrometer as one of the first things you buy if you continue fermenting beverages...

Keep us posted, hope you enjoy the process....

fatbloke
06-19-2013, 11:23 PM
This is my first ever try at brewing anthing...I've always wanted to try mead, so why not just make some! After hours ( and hours ) of reading and YouTube, i started my 1st batch.
I'm doing a gal...i used 3# of honey, 1 med orange, 25 smashed raisins and Lalvin 71B.
Its day 5 and everything seems to be going well. i was pleasantly surprised by the sweet aroma coming out of the airlock. don't really know what i was expecting, but surprised none the less! i don't own a hydrometer, yet!

Wish me luck
Welcome to the forums.........

For your further reading enjoyment, the NewBee guide is linked in the left hand side yellow dialogue box.

Also, with your first batch on the go and ingredients listed, I'll highlight the basic JAO recipe in chapter 6 of the guide, because you seem to have used similar ingredients but varying a little.

Now the JAO recipe is very specific and easy to mix/make so it gives consistent and repeatable results......I think you'd find the JAO thread is the longest one here but its likely worth a read if you can plough through it.

Why ? Because you have used a wine yeast with the similar ingredients. This will likely take it dry with that honey/water ratio, which isn't a problem per se, but what that often does, is focus the flavour on the pith of the orange and resulting bitterness.

JAO uses bread yeast because that generally dies off at a lower alcohol level, leaving residual sugars that balance the bitterness. Hence given that you've used a bit less honey, this increases that possibility.

Don't worry unduly, let it finish and clear. It can usually be tweaked to help modify the taste.

Above all, remember patience as that's usually the hardest thing to learn, especially when just starting out......

rj_picou
06-22-2013, 12:36 AM
Thank you FB...I've read a lot from you and am inclined to LISTEN!
Next months batch is gonna be a word for word JAO!

rj_picou
06-22-2013, 12:44 AM
PS
was not sold on the bread yeast
imagined a bread wine...lol

rj_picou
06-27-2013, 03:31 PM
I have not recieved my hydrometer yet...soon i hope
question:
Can i add what i excluded from the JAO recipe in 2nd fermentation
1/2# honey
cinnamon stick
clove
nutmeg
allspice
From what I've been reading on this forum, anythings possible with the right plan!!!

fatbloke
06-27-2013, 04:35 PM
If you're thinking of adding it, then sooner rather than later, because if the element is modified by fermentation in some way then its best for there to be some activity still happening.

Sure if it's just a flavour, often extracted by the alcohol, then it can go in as secondary.....

rj_picou
06-27-2013, 05:11 PM
Thanks FB...that's what i thought. I'm concerned with the bitterness and tryin to plan ahead. I'm planning on starting batch #2 when i rack this one for 2nd fermentation
i'll have all the ingredients there and figured what the hell!!!

I'm gonna make this first batch bend to my will if it likes it or not!!!

fatbloke
06-27-2013, 10:54 PM
Everyone likes to meddle........

Often because the don't generally like X or didn't get quite enough Y etc.

I have suggested many times, that people just make a batch as closely to the recipe as possible. As a benchmark.

Then start modifying. Only because the new mead maker has no reference to work from. And hence and change is not clearly thought out or considered.

Nothing wrong with that.....After all, we all know best don't we eh ? Well until that particular batch comes out wrong or at least not as expected.

Learning curves "r" us....... :D

mannye
06-28-2013, 10:03 AM
What I really like about this forum is that the guys who are on here that have been doing this for a long time and are practically 100% sure we have blundered don't jump on the opportunity to lambaste us with a cat-o-nine-tails like you would see in say, a gaming forum.

They just take a sip of mead and gently impart wisdom.

My advice, for what it's worth at this stage in my mead career, is to not wait...get another one gallon carboy and do the JAO per recipe right away.

Then get ready to move up to 5 gallon batches!

rj_picou
06-28-2013, 03:19 PM
Hehehe...i have 5 gal bucket with 3 gal batch in mind!
And yes, this forum has been my primary sourse for my new obsession!!!
Its like we're all sit'n round a fire tellin stories...y'all are some good folk!!!
I'm looking forward to honing my skills and sharing my victories and defeats!

fatbloke
06-29-2013, 02:59 AM
What I really like about this forum is that the guys who are on here that have been doing this for a long time and are practically 100% sure we have blundered don't jump on the opportunity to lambaste us with a cat-o-nine-tails like you would see in say, a gaming forum.

They just take a sip of mead and gently impart wisdom.

My advice, for what it's worth at this stage in my mead career, is to not wait...get another one gallon carboy and do the JAO per recipe right away.

Then get ready to move up to 5 gallon batches!
Which IMO, is the whole point of it.

The aim being, to encourage peeps to make the best meads they can. When new members join and start off, many of the mistakes/errors (poor selection of words, maybe the term "not using best practice" would be better, but who's to decide what's best practice.....) that are encountered will have been made by the members who've been making meads for a while.

Likewise, some of the techniques you see mentioned will have come from one of the other home brewing disciplines and carry a set of different issues i.e. just because it works with beers, doesn't mean it's a good technique (or bad for that matter) for meads.

Honey might have all the fermentable sugars you could ever want, but as a fermentable substance, carries a whole range of other issues, that you don't see with beers and not often with wines.

So what, really, is the point of flaming the hell out of someone ? We all had to learn somewhere, and given that there's no real standards to mead making, there's no real "wrong" way, just methods that do a better job than others........

iechyd da !

mannye
06-30-2013, 10:04 AM
Awesome! If they ever let you out of Brighton (I'm spitballing here...south coast) I have a host of wonderful drinkables and real BBQ waiting for you here in Miami Beach, Fatbloke.

fatbloke
06-30-2013, 03:13 PM
Awesome! If they ever let you out of Brighton (I'm spitballing here...south coast) I have a host of wonderful drinkables and real BBQ waiting for you here in Miami Beach, Fatbloke.
Ha ha! About 22 years too late. I was there in the early 90's. We were on the way back from the Falklands. The ship was parked next to the park/carpark where they have (had ?) the car racing..... (Bicentennial Park is the name that comes to mind).

Spring break was a good time to visit Miami...... :D

Brighton wasn't a bad guess though. Born there but can't afford it now so a little further west, between Shoreham and Worthing......

If you get back over here, let me know. Weekends preferred because I might be stuck in my truck somewhere up north during the week.....

And don't forget, I aim to try and be helpful if I follow what the problem might be. Yet some on your side of the pond are convinced that we all speak with Alan Rickmans acted venom and sarcasm. We don't really but what a really good image. All of us talking to each other like his "Sheriff of Nottingham" part......

mannye
06-30-2013, 10:23 PM
some on your side of the pond are convinced that we all speak with Alan Rickmans acted venom and sarcasm. We don't really but what a really good image. All of us talking to each other like his "Sheriff of Nottingham" part......

LOL That's silly... it's obvious you all talk like Downton Abbey! ;)

"I say Edith...stop fascinating that young man and come make a four at bridge!"

Unless you're from London where you all talk like 18th century cockney.. "Right...'ow about you run up the apples and get me a pint of King or face an unscheduled!!!"

Of course, here we all wear cowboy hats and six guns..y'all. ;D

With any luck I'll be 'round your way sooner than you think!

rj_picou
07-03-2013, 02:48 PM
Ok...i racked it on day 16...only 1bpm
added 1/2# honey mixed 50/50 w water...
None will be bottled!!! I've been drinking it
(a lot)...lol
my friends love it, as do i!!!!!

Batch #2 here i come

mannye
07-06-2013, 03:02 AM
Wow. Day 16 and you're drinking it already?? Excellent!

rj_picou
07-06-2013, 11:53 AM
Wow. Day 16 and you're drinking it already?? Excellent!

I have to admit that I'm not well educated on the finer qualities of mead...this is my first experience. I can't wait to actually get some to age!!! Wich of course means makin a lot more...I've developed a taste for it and can't keep out of it...DAMN IT!!!

mannye
07-07-2013, 11:50 AM
That's my problem too. I went out and bought a bunch of retail mead to try and develop my palate. So far most of the retail ones have been a bust and no match for the smell of the JAOM.

This week I start the second batch following the quick ferment experiment. Once I get a one gallon batch I like, I will increase to 5 gallons.

My goal is tart/sweet and refreshing. Something you can drink a lot of quickly because its so good and not cloying.

rj_picou
07-07-2013, 01:52 PM
That's my problem too. I went out and bought a bunch of retail mead to try and develop my palate. So far most of the retail ones have been a bust and no match for the smell of the JAOM.

This week I start the second batch following the quick ferment experiment. Once I get a one gallon batch I like, I will increase to 5 gallons.

My goal is tart/sweet and refreshing. Something you can drink a lot of quickly because its so good and not cloying.

My next is gonna be a 1 gal wyeast trappist 3787....my curiosity is peaked with this yeast experiment!!! I was thinking of doing a 3 or 4 gal batch, but will try 1 gal to make sure its worthy of my first multi-gallon adventure...lol