• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Hullo and happy Summer Solstice!

Barrel Char Wood Products

MHoughton1989

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 21, 2013
Bristol, England
twitter.com
Hello :)

I thought I'd make a quick introduction post as it seems rude to start posting without saying hello!

I'm pretty new to brewing but not new to mead! Mead is my favourite drink and as a druid I'm an avid drinker of it on many an occasion! I'm Bristol (England) based and look forward to getting to know you all! :)

Apologies if this isn't the right part of the forum to post this in but I couldn't find a introductions specific sub-forum.

Finally, Happy Litha/Summer Solstice everyone! I hope you're all having a fantastic day!

BB,
Melanie
/|\ xxx

fatbloke

good egg/snappy dresser.....
GotMead Patron
Sod the soltice Mel. The henge and Amesbury are about equidistant between you and me..... except I'm closer to the bloody M25 (only 4 hours today).

Yer in the right place for meads and the making. The mystical stuff isn't my cup of tea but we've plenty of excellent knowledge for making and can usually suss out sensible equivalents for some ingredients if necessary (they don't know how easy they have it in the US, with the massive choice of ingredients and kit.....).

Good luck with your efforts and welcome to the forums. Have a read of the NewBee guide (linked left hand dialogue box) anf the JAO recipe in chap 6 is an easy straight forward start.....

rj_picou

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 1, 2013
Avilton Maryland
Happy mid-summer to ya!!! I'm also new to the brew crew here.
I live up in them thar hills of the appalachians in western maryland where most folk haven't heard of mead. I'm hoping to change that for some!
Good luck with your future and present mead making

MHoughton1989

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 21, 2013
Bristol, England
twitter.com
Thank you for the welcome StuckTiger11, Riverat, fatbloke and rj_picou! :)

fatbloke: The West Country (Bristol in-particular) is oddly deficient in purchasable meads (which I found really odd!) so my partner and I decided to start trying to brew a greater amount of it, it's going quite well so far but our most recent brew is pretty potent! Originally from the South Coast myself actually - seems to be a lot more mead there, more of a cider vibe round here!

xxx /|\

fatbloke

good egg/snappy dresser.....
GotMead Patron
Cornwall is pretty full of mead though, but a little bit of a drive from here! :)
I did 10 years with the RN, and wasn't surprised to find out, when I was based in Devonport, that I lived closer to Paris, than to Plymouth.

I soon learned, that once I hit south of Exeter, then it definitely becomes the twilight zone.........

Have a good look around though, you might find that while there isn't much actually made in the Bristol area, there might be a good place that sells a decent range. Like there's one near me, that keeps 7 or 8 different commercial meads - though having tasted 4 of them, they're all far too sweet for my taste - I did a rather unscientific test 3 or 4 years back and they were all testing at the 1.035 to 1.040 area for sweetness, which to my way of thinking, is basically a stuck ferment.

I find it best to ferment dry (well as dry as I can) then bring it back up to about the 1.010 to 1.015 area, with back sweetening honey.

Your biggest difficulty, will likely be, finding local equivalents of some of the ingredients mentioned here (or over at "Homebrewtalk" if you register there as well - there's some good info in their mead forum). A good choice of honey varietals isn't so easy to find, especially if what with your spiritual interest, you wanted to focus on the more traditional types.

IMO, your mead will only be as good as your honey and yeast. Yeast is easy (relatively speaking), as it's just a mail order away, but nice honey ? Well it's probably worth suggesting that you search out local bee keepers or even the nearest branch of the BBKA, as they might be able to direct you toward apiaries/ists, who will sell raw honey i.e. not filtered, blended or otherwise processed (bits of wax, propylis, dead bee's etc aren't a problem as they all come out in the making).

Guinlilly

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 17, 2011
Seaford, DE
Hullo there and welcome! My husband and I are Heathen/Asatru so I hear ya on ritual/camping/party use. :D Glad Midsummer!

MHoughton1989

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 21, 2013
Bristol, England
twitter.com
fatbloke: Thank you for such a well crafted, thoughtful reply. :)
I think I'll have most luck in terms of the variety of the commercial meads I can find if I head along the A37 towards Glastonbury, I will continue to hunt around Bristol though! You never know where might stock it! :)
I was considering trying to find some local honey as we've been finding that using the commercial stuff isn't producing the most flavourful results, nothing bad I might add, but I imagine locally sourced raw honey would be fantastic.
I do a fair bit of conservation volunteering so I may hopefully come into contact with some hives that way!

Guinilly: Thank you for the welcome, blessed Litha! :)

xxx /|\

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns