PDA

View Full Version : first batch of mead...is it fermenting????

moridin
06-23-2013, 04:15 PM
Just finished making my first batch of mead i guess around 36 hours ago. My ingredients used were: 16 lb of honey, 71b yeast (1 packet), yeast nutrient (4 teaspoon), 1 tablespoon bentonite, and fill up to 5 gal with water.

So i have my primary in this bucket that came in my set, it huge and has a rounded lid and due to the shape does not require an airlock (allows air out without letting critters/debris) My question is when i woke up yesterday to aerate the must, there was foam and i could visibly see bubbles, then today when i go to aerate, there is no foam, yet still i can see it bubbling. I checked the gravity and it has gone down from 1.090, to 1.080..so im guessing this is fermenting yet because im not using an airlock and cant see how fast the bubbles are leaving, i am worried. Should i consider repitching yeast? or just let it sit and see what happens?

Cheers

danr
06-23-2013, 05:37 PM
Your mead is fermenting as indicated by the drop in gravity. Hydrometer readings are a much better indication of fermentation activity than bubbles in your airlock or foaming.

I am not sure why you added the bentonite. This is usually used before bottling if needed to help the clear the mead.

Dan

joemirando
06-23-2013, 08:02 PM
So i have my primary in this bucket that came in my set, it huge and has a rounded lid and due to the shape does not require an airlock (allows air out without letting critters/debris)

This is interesting. Is there any chance you could direct us to a picture of this beast?

If your must is bubbling and fizzy, its fermenting. I'm not exactly sure of what the foam is composed of, but I too have seen it appear and then disappear after a couple of days. My guess is that its just the effect of active yeast fermenting, oxygen (at this point there's oxygen in the must) reacting with stuff, and the fact that there's more 'body' to the must. As the must becomes mead and becomes 'thinner', there's less in it to form bubbles.

But that's just a guess. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than I will come along in short order and correct me. ;-)

Maze on,

Joe

moridin
06-24-2013, 01:53 AM
thanks both joe and dan!!

So basically the reason why i added the bentonite now was simply because dude at the lhbs said that i should? I didnt think it would make a difference either way. i dunno :s maybe he dusnt know what hes talking about? ahahaha hopefully he didnt fuck my mead.

Yah its definitely fizzing still. I aerated it again tonight and alot of bubbles were coming out. I plan on taking another gravity reading tomorrow so hopefully it will continue to go down. if not im sure il find a way of getting it going!
I'll post pics of the primary im using tomorrow so you can see joe!

Chevette Girl
07-03-2013, 06:22 AM
So basically the reason why i added the bentonite now was simply because dude at the lhbs said that i should? I didnt think it would make a difference either way. i dunno :s maybe he dusnt know what hes talking about? ahahaha hopefully he didnt fuck my mead.

Wine kits have you add the bentonite first (I'm suspecting so that the yeast and particles drop out of suspension more quickly at the beginning so your secondary is relatively clear), and when you make beer you add the clarifier first too, so it's not a stretch to do it with a mead, just often unnecessary. A lot of meads clear up just fine by themselves. But it won't hurt your mead.