PDA

View Full Version : n00b JAOM, different fruit, low temp. Help?

CelticBrew
06-23-2013, 08:35 PM
Hi all.

This is my first attempt at mead so I've gone for a gallon of JAOM, but I substituted chopped dates for the raisins (because we had them already) and left out all spices, but put in one cardamom pod.

I haven't noticed much fermentation at all - there's one bubble through the airlock every 20 seconds.

I'm wondering if that's because it's the middle of winter and our house is cold? I waited a week or so before topping off the water and gave it a swirl or two to mix it but it looks a little separated.

Is it the cold weather that's retarding the fermentation? Were my dates a big mistake? Should I just chill out?

Thanks for reading ;D

akueck
06-23-2013, 09:11 PM
JAO likes it hot, so yes it's probably the cold. Bring it somewhere warmer, 22-24 C or so. That should perk it up.

CelticBrew
06-23-2013, 09:16 PM
Oh, thanks. Will it be a problem if I don't put it somewhere warmer though? There's no way I can. At most I can warm it up to about 18 once a day but it'll drop back to about 5 again overnight. I'm a little worried about constant changes in temp ruining it.

Will it just be slower to ferment if I leave it in the cold?

THawk
06-23-2013, 10:30 PM
Oh, thanks. Will it be a problem if I don't put it somewhere warmer though? There's no way I can. At most I can warm it up to about 18 once a day but it'll drop back to about 5 again overnight. I'm a little worried about constant changes in temp ruining it.

Will it just be slower to ferment if I leave it in the cold?

you could always place the jug behind the fridge or in the laundry room by the dryer if you have one... :)

akueck
06-25-2013, 09:06 PM
Wrap it in a blanket/towel too. Keep the heat in!

TheGiantGinger
06-25-2013, 09:40 PM
Buy a heated pet mat and use a combination of the heating element and towels/eski's to find the right, stable temperature. The output of the pet mat that I bought ($15 from the Reject shop) was so low that it doesn't even feel warm to the touch... but I found that, when nicely insulated, it brought my 5L demijohn from 13˚C up to 24˚C over the space a day or two... and then just removing some of the insulation has kept it stable at about 22˚C since.

CelticBrew
06-27-2013, 07:54 AM
Thanks very much for the tips everyone!