• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

n00b JAOM, different fruit, low temp. Help?

Barrel Char Wood Products

CelticBrew

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 23, 2013
Hi all.

This is my first attempt at mead so I've gone for a gallon of JAOM, but I substituted chopped dates for the raisins (because we had them already) and left out all spices, but put in one cardamom pod.

I haven't noticed much fermentation at all - there's one bubble through the airlock every 20 seconds.

I'm wondering if that's because it's the middle of winter and our house is cold? I waited a week or so before topping off the water and gave it a swirl or two to mix it but it looks a little separated.

Is it the cold weather that's retarding the fermentation? Were my dates a big mistake? Should I just chill out?

Thanks for reading ;D

akueck

Certified Mead Mentor
Certified Mead Mentor
Jun 26, 2006
Ithaca, NY
JAO likes it hot, so yes it's probably the cold. Bring it somewhere warmer, 22-24 C or so. That should perk it up.

CelticBrew

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 23, 2013
Oh, thanks. Will it be a problem if I don't put it somewhere warmer though? There's no way I can. At most I can warm it up to about 18 once a day but it'll drop back to about 5 again overnight. I'm a little worried about constant changes in temp ruining it.

Will it just be slower to ferment if I leave it in the cold?

THawk

Crazy Martian Cat
GotMead Patron
Oh, thanks. Will it be a problem if I don't put it somewhere warmer though? There's no way I can. At most I can warm it up to about 18 once a day but it'll drop back to about 5 again overnight. I'm a little worried about constant changes in temp ruining it.

Will it just be slower to ferment if I leave it in the cold?

you could always place the jug behind the fridge or in the laundry room by the dryer if you have one... :)

TheGiantGinger

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 17, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
Buy a heated pet mat and use a combination of the heating element and towels/eski's to find the right, stable temperature. The output of the pet mat that I bought ($15 from the Reject shop) was so low that it doesn't even feel warm to the touch... but I found that, when nicely insulated, it brought my 5L demijohn from 13˚C up to 24˚C over the space a day or two... and then just removing some of the insulation has kept it stable at about 22˚C since.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns