PDA

View Full Version : Shipping?

jgoehring
06-25-2013, 02:13 PM
I have entered into my first amateur competition and could use a point in the right direction. What service do you use to ship? I was reading the UPS regulations and they mentioned that you need to have a license with the state.

Midnight Sun
06-25-2013, 03:40 PM
Having not done this before, UPS or FedEx seem to both work. Mark the box as "samples, not for consumption."

jgoehring
06-25-2013, 05:34 PM
Well the competition is in my state. And there seem to be no laws against couriers. But to avoid any issues. I will probably just drive it to the drop off location. What a pain.

mannye
06-25-2013, 11:17 PM
Just label it "honey" and be done with it.

Chevette Girl
06-25-2013, 11:51 PM
I've heard of "marinade" being used as a label as well.

YogiBearMead726
06-26-2013, 01:33 AM
I've said it before, I'll say it again; "lava lamps". And that's only if they even ask. I find half the time, they don't. You technically don't have to write on or label the package at all.

Edit: I've heard of, but never tried, saying they're "collectable bottles"

Edit #2: Seems we're not the only ones thinking of this...here's a link to the BeerAdvocate forum page devoted to the matter: http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/whats-in-the-box.98996/ (http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/whats-in-the-box.98996/). Sorry for plugging another forum, they just have some good suggestions, my favorite being to make the labels at home.

Robusto
06-26-2013, 11:44 AM
I use FedEx because that's what we use at work and it's cheap if I go through my employer's account. I mark mine "Flavor Samlpes".

mannye
06-27-2013, 10:26 AM
This is clearly one of those ask for forgiveness instead of permission moments. I would balk at sending a keg because that can get you in real trouble, but a 12 oz bottle? Come on son... (Psych anyone?)

BBBF
07-01-2013, 08:10 AM
The only time I have ever had a problem with either UPS or FedEx was when the package was addressed to XYZ Wine Competition and they don't believe that I am entering a lava lamp. It is helpful if you can just put the person receiving's name or be a little criptic, like XYZ W. Comp