PDA

View Full Version : All of my mead.. is greenish?

meadnoob_83
06-28-2013, 09:31 AM
I brewed five 1 gallon batches of mead yesterday, four being melomels, and one being a short traditional. For some reason, they all appear to hold a greenish tinge to them when I shine a light on them. What the heck lol? I know they aren't infected, as I was quite meticulous about sanitization and they look just fine, except for the fact that they are greenish. One is just honey and nutrient, one is jaom, one is blackberry, one is strawberry raspberry, and one is naval orange with strawberry/blackberry. Green? What?

Silos
06-28-2013, 10:14 AM
I'm nowhere near a mead expert; in fact I'm just starting out myself.

However, the debugger in me thinks this analysis requires more information.

Were the five meads initially prepared in a 5 gallon must and then split into 1 gallon batches?

Are they in 1 gallon glass carboys/jugs?

What kind of light are you shining on them?

The first thing that pops into my head is that you're seeing either a tint in the glass, or perhaps some colouration from the light source itself. Do you have another empty carboy of the same kind that you could fill with water and test against? If neither of these possibilities is the case then there is something weirdly mead specific here that I have no experience with in person or in reading, though I'm sure that someone here will have an answer.

Marshmallow Blue
06-28-2013, 10:36 AM
I think Silos is on the right track here. Flash lights have a yellow tint to their light which could be meshing with your mead.

You could also have something green nearby, All colors reflect light (that's what allows us to see what color they are) but only certain parts of the spectrum (that determines which color). So if you have something green nearby the carboys, it could be picking up and reflecting some of that light back to the carboys.

TheGiantGinger
06-28-2013, 12:02 PM
Yeah, I reckon if it's a glass demijohn or carboy you're using, that's what's giving it the green look. Pretty much all clear glass is green... even if it's 99.9% transparent... there's still a .1% somewhere that's green. It only tends to be noticeable in thicker glasses though, so the handles on my demijohns are obviously green, even if the rest of it isn't.

fatbloke
06-28-2013, 01:15 PM
I can't remember what the light source I used when I could see a greenish tinge to a honey and water mix, but I think it was an LED torch/flashlight......

skunkboy
06-28-2013, 05:55 PM
Yeah, some of the silly glass carboys are pretty darn green ...

meadnoob_83
06-29-2013, 04:49 AM
Thanks for all the replies! My carboys seem clear. Interestingly enough, they all went from greenish to their proper colors. Four are yellowish orange now and two are pink. Not sure what the heck was going on before

meadnoob_83
06-29-2013, 04:58 AM
Here's what they look like now. If you noticed the 1116 then congrats you caught me red handed making rocket fuel mead and all I have to say in my defense is that I am impatient and in fact have two reasons under that: immediate availability and I actually planned it that way because I wanted overly reliable fermentation and don't care about off flavors and ruined delicate-ness for these batches xD They seem to taste delicious so far anyways no homo

http://oi39.tinypic.com/23usp6v.jpg