PDA

View Full Version : JAOM suggestion

ScotRob
06-28-2013, 01:31 PM
Hi all- have just bottled my first batch of JAOM..having adhered strictly to the recipe (although substituting the yeast for Tesco bread yeast as I am in the UK) I had a lovely batch of mellow, pale gold, crystal clear nectar...Slightly strong and harsh right now but that tells me that 6 months in the bottle will turn it into something magical.

Anyway: having bottled, I had about 1/2 bottle or so left from 1 gall which i put in the fridge. Although slightly too harsh to drink neat, I found it makes a wonderful refreshing spritzer (half wine, half chilled soda water by volume), perfect for summer evenings standing by the barbecue. Has anyone else made spritzers or other cocktails with JAOM (or any other mead?)- do try it, it's really nice.

mannye
06-28-2013, 05:07 PM
I've been trying a lot of commercial mead the past few days and I find the club soda and a bit of lemon (I will be trying 7Up and Sprite soon) make the most cloying meads into a refreshing spritzer that will knock you on your ass.

fatbloke
06-29-2013, 03:04 AM
Done the same before now.

Been trying to find an excuse to buy a sodastream, as I don't like their concentrate flavours generally, but as a cheap supply of soda water, brilliant.

The commercially made "dessert" type meads might be cloyingly sweet, but they're also usually about the 14% ABV mark (well the ones I've tried here are anyway), so it's rather like drinking a strongish beer if they're mixed 50/50......

mannye
06-29-2013, 09:08 AM
Done the same before now.

Been trying to find an excuse to buy a sodastream, as I don't like their concentrate flavours generally, but as a cheap supply of soda water, brilliant.

The commercially made "dessert" type meads might be cloyingly sweet, but they're also usually about the 14% ABV mark (well the ones I've tried here are anyway), so it's rather like drinking a strongish beer if they're mixed 50/50......

http://www.amazon.com/iSi-2248-Siphon-Brushed-Aluminum/dp/B00007JXR7/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1372511219&sr=8-1&keywords=soda+spritzer

Or if you get lucky on ebay even better!

fatbloke
06-29-2013, 03:28 PM
http://www.amazon.com/iSi-2248-Siphon-Brushed-Aluminum/dp/B00007JXR7/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1372511219&sr=8-1&keywords=soda+spritzer

Or if you get lucky on ebay even better!
My location presents a slight problem........

mannye
06-30-2013, 10:29 PM
My location presents a slight problem........

ah poop... UK Amazon... It's how I get my "Fools and Horses" DVDs when my London BBC friends are in for meetings...