PDA

View Full Version : Hello everybody!

Pottsy929
06-28-2013, 07:11 PM
Well, I am obviously new here. I found the site when I was googling how to make mead and I seem to find most of the answers to my questions here. I became interested in making my own mead mostly because I like to start science projects when I've been drinking :p. So I now have two gallon jugs that I just got going today.

The first gallon jug has

3lbs honey
roughly 3/4 gallon water
an orange
and a big hand full of craisins

It's OG was right about 1.114 and the temperature of the must was about 79 degrees.

The second one has

3lbs of honey
3/4 gallon of water
2 small peaches
and a big hand full of craisins

It's OG was 1.078 and it's temperature was 88-89 degrees. I tried to make this one a little different and kind of semi-cooked the honey before adding it, but I made a big mess on my stove so I stopped it haha(I needed a bigger pot). and it probably has more like 2.5lbs of honey instead of 3.

The yeast I used was lalvin 71B-1122. I also used 1tsp yeast nutrient and 1/2tsp yeast energizer for each one.

Don't know how they'll turn out, but as long as it is drinkable I'll be happy. This is mostly suppose to be a trial and error learning experience for me anyway!

Vance G
06-30-2013, 09:31 AM
Welcome. Keep reading old posts to learn and your projects will bring out more questions and ask them as they come. Everyone starts somewhere.