3.5# honey
juice from 2 oranges (hand squeezed)
25ish raisins
1 cinnamon stick
1 clove
pinch of nutmeg
pinch of allspice
71B yeast

rehydrated yeast in 50/50 water n must @ 103F...had to stir it a couple times because of foam...let sit until temp matched must @ 80F...pitched yeast...bubbling frantically within 30 mins!!!

OG 1.123ish 2 July 2013

B. Goldwater
07-03-2013, 03:39 PM
Congrats on your first batch going so well. Sounds as though the bug has now infected you, be prepared to spend more and more money on carboys/honey/nutrients/etc... Hope you have enough space:p

I would recommend putting some orange zest in secondary for this batch, but it really depends on what you are shooting for with it. I am a fan of the citrusy flavor profile and zest in secondary typicaly gives me that extra pop i am looking for...

Enjoy!;D

rj_picou
07-03-2013, 03:43 PM
That sounds good...1 orange zested or 2?

rj_picou
07-03-2013, 03:58 PM
Got home from work and immediately started prepping for aeration and adding nutrients??
SG 1.112...airlocks gonna need greased at this pace...lol
de-gassed...added nutrients...1/2 tsp ( 1:2 fermaidK/Dap )
went ahead and added left over must to top off...
new SG 1.120
Bubbling away nicely!!!!

B. Goldwater
07-03-2013, 04:25 PM
That sounds good...1 orange zested or 2?

I would say one, and you can always add more later if you think it needs it.

rj_picou
07-03-2013, 06:23 PM
I would say one, and you can always add more later if you think it needs it.

Right on! One it is then...

rj_picou
07-04-2013, 02:53 PM
SG 1.102
Added nutrients
aerated

rj_picou
07-05-2013, 04:22 PM
SG 1.082
added nutrients
aerated

how much more nutrients and how often
I've been adding 1/2 tsp daily of 1:2 fermaidK/dap for the first three days...

rj_picou
07-07-2013, 02:06 PM
Stopped using nutrients...don't want to over do it!!!

rj_picou
07-07-2013, 02:11 PM
July 6, 2013......SG 1.062......Just took reading and tasted

July 7, 2013.......SG 1.048.....ditto

it seems to be slowing...which i figured would happen soon...if i figured this right, it should be done around 1.015ish...by then, i should be at 14% ABV, the tolerance of the 71B

B. Goldwater
07-08-2013, 12:14 PM
The tolerance of yeast is more like a guideline. Sometimes the yeast will charge through thier "limit" and sometimes they wont hit their "target". If you are wanting to finish at a certain F.G. the easiest way to do it is to finish your mead dry at the ABV you are wanting, stabilize with kmeta and ksorbate, then backsweeten to your desired F.G. Trying to get your yeast to cooperate and stop at a certain point will lead to you pulling out your hair...:p

rj_picou
07-08-2013, 04:13 PM
The tolerance of yeast is more like a guideline. Sometimes the yeast will charge through thier "limit" and sometimes they wont hit their "target". If you are wanting to finish at a certain F.G. the easiest way to do it is to finish your mead dry at the ABV you are wanting, stabilize with kmeta and ksorbate, then backsweeten to your desired F.G. Trying to get your yeast to cooperate and stop at a certain point will lead to you pulling out your hair...:p

Ok...can't afford hair loss...lol
so, it will be what it will be!!
I'm learning patients goes hand in hand with brewing
This new hobby has made my garden grow faster!!!

Now...when adding benonite...how much and when?

B. Goldwater
07-08-2013, 04:53 PM
Didnt you just start this batch 6 days ago? Your SG yesterday was 1.048 so I would definitley hold off on adding bentonite.

Bentonite is typically used when fermentation is pretty much done (1.000 and below SG) and the mead isnt clearing on its own in secondary. If I have a stubborn batch that isnt clearing I will add a little bit of bentonite after racking from secondary to start aging the mead. It can take weeks for the bentonite to settle everything out. From your recipe you stated below I wouldnt think you would need to add bentonite to clear it, i would suggest cold crashing the mead for a few weeks in the fridge first (after fermentation is complete). If that doesnt work, rack the mead off the lees then add bentonite per package directions and wait a few weeks before bottling. Otherwise you might end up with sediment in your bottles. Patience is key in every process of meadmaking...a great mead is worth the wait.

PATIENCE...PAITENCE...PATIENCE... and again PATIENCE...PATIENCE...PATIENCE...and again...I cant hear you??? :p

joemirando
07-08-2013, 05:17 PM
Ok...can't afford hair loss...lol
so, it will be what it will be!!
I'm learning patients goes hand in hand with brewing
This new hobby has made my garden grow faster!!!

Now...when adding benonite...how much and when?
I just had my first experience with bentonite very recently.

The bag of a mixture of fine and course gray clay powder had no instructions or directions with it, so I found bits and pieces here, and came up with the following directions for myself:

bring 2 cups of water to a boil in a 3 quart pan
slowly dissolve approximately 2 tablespoons (i used about 2.5) while stirring vigorously with fork
Stir constantly while allowing mixture to boil for several minutes
allow mixture to cool enough to pour into a glass bottle
after reaching room temperature, allow to sit in refrigerator for 24 hours before using
swirl mead gently, adding anywhere between 2 and 5 TBS of the bentonite per gallon of mead.
let sit for up to 2 weeks to clear

If you don't see definite signs of clearing after several days, you can add up to the maximum of 5 TBS as needed. This may take a little longer because of stirring up the mead again, but it will help ensure you don't overdose on bentonite and leave off flavors or remove flavors you WANT in the mead.

The balance of my 2 cup bentonite mixture is sitting in a ziploc bag in the freezer. I poured it off into an ice cube tray, figuring about 2 tablespoons of the mixture in each cube. Once frozen, out they came and put into a ziploc bag and stored in the freezer so i don't have to worry about bad stuff growing in it. The cubes can be thawed easily enough and its a lot quicker than waiting another 24 hours for the bentonite to come to its max water absorption.

Using bentonite, as I understand it, it best/most efficient after fermentation has completely stopped and the mead has been degassed. And if the mead clears on its own, you don't even necessarily need bentonite.

It would be interesting to test a batch of mead that has 'cleared' on its own, dividing it in half and dosing one with bentonite to see if there is a difference after it settles. The difference might also present itself in taste. I'll have to give that a test sometime.

As I said, I'm new to using bentonite, so I may have screwed myself here and not even realize it, and I would advise to wait for other, more knowledgeable folk to weigh in, but this is what I did, and my 6 gallon batch of traditional mead is now clear, on its way to being "incredibly clear".

As always, your mileage may vary.

Maze on,

Joe

rj_picou
07-08-2013, 06:05 PM
Thanks joemirando...impressive!!!
Im gonna buy some bentonite just so i too can have single serving clay-popcicles!!!!
That's an F'n great idea!!!
This is why i spend as much time as i do on this site! a lot of things discussed here still go over my head. but I'm new to this whole brewing thing. And i feel very fortunate to have found GM! Y'all have made this a pleasurable learning experience!

Thanks everyone

joemirando
07-08-2013, 06:28 PM
Thanks joemirando...impressive!!!
Im gonna buy some bentonite just so i too can have single serving clay-popcicles!!!!
That's an F'n great idea!!!
This is why i spend as much time as i do on this site! a lot of things discussed here still go over my head. but I'm new to this whole brewing thing. And i feel very fortunate to have found GM! Y'all have made this a pleasurable learning experience!

Thanks everyone
Hahaha! 'Clay popcicles'! Woe be to anyone popping one a them badboys in their mouth!

Thanks, but in truth, I'm just damned cheap! ;)

I hate the idea of spending money on bentonite, mixing it up, using part of it then having to throw some out due to spoilage.

I'm still a rank newbie, and I freely admit it. I learn something daily here. I have been a patron of online chat systems since the days of National Videotex, Delphi, GEnie and CompuServe (late 80's/early 90's). I started out with a 110 baud modem. Yes, that's right... 110 BAUD. Basically I could TYPE faster... even then. I was active to the point of being sysop or assistant sysop on several forums/chat systems, and I've go to say that this is one of the most helpful, most congenial groups I've ever been involved in.

Hopefully, one day down the road, I'll be able to contribute as much as I've gained from visiting here.

Maze on,

Joe

rj_picou
07-09-2013, 02:57 PM
SG 1.026

Still plug'n along!!!

rj_picou
07-09-2013, 06:44 PM
Didnt you just start this batch 6 days ago? Your SG yesterday was 1.048 so I would definitley hold off on adding bentonite.

Bentonite is typically used when fermentation is pretty much done (1.000 and below SG) and the mead isnt clearing on its own in secondary. If I have a stubborn batch that isnt clearing I will add a little bit of bentonite after racking from secondary to start aging the mead. It can take weeks for the bentonite to settle everything out. From your recipe you stated below I wouldnt think you would need to add bentonite to clear it, i would suggest cold crashing the mead for a few weeks in the fridge first (after fermentation is complete). If that doesnt work, rack the mead off the lees then add bentonite per package directions and wait a few weeks before bottling. Otherwise you might end up with sediment in your bottles. Patience is key in every process of meadmaking...a great mead is worth the wait.

PATIENCE...PAITENCE...PATIENCE... and again PATIENCE...PATIENCE...PATIENCE...and again...I cant hear you??? :p

I've no intention of adding anything right now.
was just curious about the bentonite. I've read different posts and wasn't sure about its use.

rj_picou
07-10-2013, 03:05 PM
SG 1.016

This batch is still doin its thing! Granted not as hard as a week ago, but still bubbling every. 5 seconds...i think its gonna go dry on me...oh well...I'm not afeared of backsweetening!!!

rj_picou
07-13-2013, 04:49 PM
SG 1.005

Down to 1 bubble every 35 sec...put it in the frig yesterday