PDA

View Full Version : Aging Mead in a Keg

danr
07-07-2013, 12:26 AM
When aging a still mead in a corny keg, what pressure should be used to prevent oxidation but avoid carbonation?

Also, has anyone done a comparison of bulk aging in a glass carboy with airlock vs. a pressurized stainless steel keg? If so, are the results similar?

Thanks,

Dan

Vandall
07-07-2013, 03:41 PM
In the past, when using C02, I turn on the gas and pull the over pressure relief valve and let the C02 flow until I am confident that it has displaced all of the air. I then shut off the gas and release the relief valve. I essentially store it at 0 psi. I recently acquired a nitrogen setup for my meads and use my C02 for beer. I am not a pro but this has worked well for me.

skunkboy
07-07-2013, 05:08 PM
Yup, I know people who do this, as long as there is pressure, air shouldn't be able to get in...

butterpants
07-19-2013, 06:36 PM
Cornies may not seal without an initial blast of gas, even with properly lubed o-rings and functional poppets. I always crank 20psi on for a few seconds after purging headspace of oxygen. You couldn't possibly carb 5 gallons with that little amount and for sure it will be sealed.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta

mannye
07-19-2013, 07:50 PM
Cornies may not seal without an initial blast of gas, even with properly lubed o-rings and functional poppets. I always crank 20psi on for a few seconds after purging headspace of oxygen. You couldn't possibly carb 5 gallons with that little amount and for sure it will be sealed.

x2 it takes a lot of pressure, shaking and cold to carb up flat beer. Don't worry too much, but you can always tap it once a month or so to see what's happening..

BBBF
07-20-2013, 08:05 AM

I used this method on two batches of wine that I made and then bottled directly from the keg. I wasn't happy with the amount of co2 that was dissolved. I would like to get a nitrogen tank because I really like the idea of storing batches in corny kegs. My other thought is to run everything through a whole house filter when I bottle, which might knock out the co2.

danr
07-20-2013, 12:51 PM
I always crank 20psi on for a few seconds after purging headspace of oxygen.

Do you purge the headspace in a corny keg by running the gas while holding the pressure relief valve open?

butterpants
07-20-2013, 04:12 PM
Do you purge the headspace in a corny keg by running the gas while holding the pressure relief valve open?

Exactly!

Caveat, some pin lock models do not have a lid with a poppet style, release anytime valve.... they have an 'oh shit' single use type that blows if overpressure. They can be easily converted with parts from your local home brew store.