• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Nottingham

Barrel Char Wood Products

rj_picou

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 1, 2013
Avilton Maryland
Ok...had 2 empty 1 gal jugs...6.5# honey...and 3 varieties of yeast
chose the Nottingham!

2.5# clover honey
Nottingham ale yeast 11g

Rehydrated yeast as per instructions(33c/15mins)
1 tsp SNA (1:2 fermaidK/Dap)

Filled to top then poured some into container so as to have room for any over foaming
Will top back off after initial start up

OG 1.094

rj_picou

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 1, 2013
Avilton Maryland
topped off with leftover must

After my foaming incident, i topped it off...
didn't want to stir it up again. so no accurate SG was taken.( got a reading of 1.070 ) will check again tomorrow. but its bubbling away nicely! And tastes great so far!

rj_picou

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 1, 2013
Avilton Maryland
volcano!

SG 1.048

This stuff is volatile!!! Does fine when i stir it...but when i add nutrients it goes off!!! Maybe I'm adding them wrong. I'm just dumping it in. should i mix nutrients w water first ?

ox45

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Jan 11, 2013
Buffalo, NY
Agreed, always degas before adding nutrients. The nutrients are nucleation points that the CO2 will grab onto and violently release out of solution. I believe the term has been named "Mead Volcano". I'll let you use your imagination as to why! ;)

joemirando

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Is it also acceptable to mix the nutrient/energizer with some of the must? It may not matter much, but I hate the idea of 'watering down' a 1 gallon batch.

I added nutrient/energizer (3/4 tsp each) by first degassing, then measuring the powders out into a sanitized honey bottle, siphoning off some of the active must into it, shaking the bejezus out of it, then slowly pouring it into the gallon carboy. Is there any sort of downside to 'shocking' a small portion of the must with nutrient and energizer for a few minutes before adding to the must?

Thanks,

Joe

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
Joe, I don't think that's a bad plan, the few yeast in your must that get shocked shouldn't be enough to make off flavours. Although if you degas well enough, you SHOULD be able to add dry ingredients... do you trust your degassing job? :) This is also why a lot of us do primary in a bucket that can hold significantly more than our batch - makes aeration and degassing and nutrient additions a lot more convenient and a lot less messy.

And RJ, topping it off after your foaming incident might not have been the safest idea, we generally wait until the violent activity has died down a bit before topping off, as long as your mead's still producing carbon dioxide, you're relatively safe from oxidation.

THawk

Crazy Martian Cat
GotMead Patron
Is it also acceptable to mix the nutrient/energizer with some of the must? It may not matter much, but I hate the idea of 'watering down' a 1 gallon batch.

As long as you're not adding dry nutrients to the must directly you should be fine. I do that as well... If you're going to go that route, get yourself a turkey baster... WAY easier than siphoning a small quantity into the vessel you're gonna dissolve the must+nutrient in.

I just use an old honey bottle... shake the heck out of the mixture to combine then dump the lot in...

ox45

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Jan 11, 2013
Buffalo, NY
I have to concur with CG. I degas the living hell out of mine and drop the dry nutrients right in. Of course, I also use a primary bucket and one of these to degas:
stirrer_zpsb507005b.jpg

so eruptions are less likely to happen and easier to control if they do.

joemirando

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Joe, I don't think that's a bad plan, the few yeast in your must that get shocked shouldn't be enough to make off flavours. Although if you degas well enough, you SHOULD be able to add dry ingredients... do you trust your degassing job? :) This is also why a lot of us do primary in a bucket that can hold significantly more than our batch - makes aeration and degassing and nutrient additions a lot more convenient and a lot less messy.

And RJ, topping it off after your foaming incident might not have been the safest idea, we generally wait until the violent activity has died down a bit before topping off, as long as your mead's still producing carbon dioxide, you're relatively safe from oxidation.
Hey CG.

No, I am not confident in my degassing job. I WAS, but recent events have shown it to be wholly inadequate.

I was under the assumption that what was called for was gentle movement of the mead to induce the CO2 to come out of solution and dissipate. It was my understanding that too vigorous an action would cause CO2 to be re-assimilated into the mead, and add the possibility of introducing free oxygen into it.

Obviously, by what has been posted in response recently, I was incorrect. So beginning now, I've been swirling the crap out of that badboy, making sure everything is moving as actively as possible.

And I apologize to RJ for hijacking the thread. That was not my intent. Back to our regularly scheduled program. <ggg>

Joe

rj_picou

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 1, 2013
Avilton Maryland
thanks guys!!!

Thanks for all the info guys! I'm learning...i need an aerator! That's what's keeping me in 1 gal jugs...i don't want to jump into something I'm not equipped for

CO2 is bad...mkay

rj_picou

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 1, 2013
Avilton Maryland
All gone...Again!!!!

Did it again...had visitor's...drank it ALL!!!
I'll be doing this one again for sure!!!

And Jim, i'll be ordering that aerator monday morning...thank for the tip
its gonna allow me to start using my 5 gal bucket...oh yeah!!!
just need bigger carboy now...damn...always something

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns