PDA

View Full Version : High Gravity JAOM

THawk
07-11-2013, 09:09 AM
Will bread yeast start with a must with 4 lbs of honey?

Looking to do some sort of "Single Malt" JAOM w/ 3# Carrot Blossom Honey and 1# Buckwheat honey.

ScotRob
07-11-2013, 09:34 AM
that's a lot of honey, and to be honest the only way to see if it works is to try it,...but bread yeast does not have a high alcohol tolerance so more than likely you will get to about 12 or 13% ABV and then it will die, leaving you with a sweet mead. If you want really high ABV i would go for a wine yeast with high tolerance, ferment dry, stabilise then back sweeten if necessary. the starting SG may also be a bit high for bread yeast anyway, although I have used 3.5 pounds of honey in a JAOM and it started fine (slowly though, and fermentation was slow and steady, never foamy or ebullient)

good luck!

Marshmallow Blue
07-11-2013, 10:58 AM
that's a lot of honey, and to be honest the only way to see if it works is to try it,...but bread yeast does not have a high alcohol tolerance so more than likely you will get to about 12 or 13% ABV and then it will die, leaving you with a sweet mead. If you want really high ABV i would go for a wine yeast with high tolerance, ferment dry, stabilise then back sweeten if necessary. the starting SG may also be a bit high for bread yeast anyway, although I have used 3.5 pounds of honey in a JAOM and it started fine (slowly though, and fermentation was slow and steady, never foamy or ebullient)

good luck!

I agree. the extra half pound of honey + steeping some malts, would leave you in the very sweet department. Bread yeast in experience goes to about 12% and peters out. I think you're getting to the point where you're changing the JAOM so much that its no longer a variant. You're just making a mead (which isn't a bad thing).

Chevette Girl
07-21-2013, 01:18 AM
Well, really, what's the worst that can happen? It fizzles out after little to no fermentation. So you dilute it... and if that doesn't get it going again, just add some more bread yeast...