PDA

View Full Version : tasting is important

rj_picou
07-15-2013, 05:35 PM
My friend has his first gallon of wine brewing. it was started Friday. He called me at work today saying it stopped bubbling last night after he added nutrients. I stopped by and asked if he'd tasted it. No. so we tasted it. oh my! It needed sugar in a bad way! We added sugar and within an hour it started bubbling.
I'm VERY new to brewing and learned a valuable lesson today. Tasting is important!!!

B. Goldwater
07-15-2013, 07:01 PM
So many questions could be asked here. But I will start with one, what was the recipe used?

The tasting part is great during the different stages of the process, it really helps you understand what is actually going on. Keep in mind that it is very difficult to ferment a beverage other then beer that will actually taste great in under a month. Most of it will taste hot(alcohol) and will need time to mellow with age.

Depending on what your starting gravity was and where the gravity was before you added sugar, the yeast might have already fermented it dry, and if you dont like dry wines, then that might be why you didnt like it. Once you added the sugar that wouldve kick started fermentation again if your yeast were below their tolerance... If this is the case they might ferment it dry again. But that really depends on what yeast you used, what your original gravity was, what your gravity was before sugar addition, and what your gravity reading is currently.

If you havent already, check out the NewBee Guide to the left in the yellow box, it is well worth the read. And is a great reference for even those of use with a little more experience.