PDA

View Full Version : Fruit drop?

mannye
07-17-2013, 08:36 AM
My batch of JAOM has been happily bubbling away and I still see a steady stream of bubbles flowing around the fruit. Since the recipe, nay, the ironclad unimpeachable rules state not to touch it..I wonder if it's still going or just outgassing.

Either way, I am seeing signs of clearing yet the fruit is still floating on top. Can I expect it to drop? All the now re-hydrated grapes, the huge clove and all the oranges are still floating serenely on top...take a look at the "This got out of control" thread and you will see a picture of this morning's mead.

Hmmmm "Morning Mead" I like that...

Marshmallow Blue
07-17-2013, 10:09 AM
probably fine, there is likely still CO2 trapped in the fruit, or in the mead that is floating the fruit.

fatbloke
07-17-2013, 02:57 PM
The fruit starts to drop from about 6 weeks onward but it can take 3 months......

Don't worry just let it do its thing.......

mannye
07-17-2013, 05:37 PM
That's what I'll do! I am adhering to the rules. Don't touch it! So I won't touch it until I see it clear and the fruit drops.

joemirando
07-17-2013, 07:24 PM
That's what I'll do! I am adhering to the rules. Don't touch it! So I won't touch it until I see it clear and the fruit drops.
If I remember correctly, waiting till the fruit drops is optional. I seem to remember the text saying that people had told him that its even better if you wait that long, but he never had.

So if ya wanna, ya can. If it clears and ya just can't wait (I didn't), you aren't breaking the rules... IIRC.

Good luck,

Joe

ScotRob
07-18-2013, 05:10 AM
Hi- personally I don't wait until the fruit drops, just until it has cleared. sometimes there will still be the odd bubble going through the airlock at this stage (outgassing i suppose), but my reason for racking at this time is that there is usually a heavy build up of lees, and I would rather not have this spoil the flavour by being in contact with the mead for too long.

Chevette Girl
07-27-2013, 01:45 PM
I find my JAO's start by making a clear layer at the top which gradually increases until the whole thing's clear, then about a week after that, the fruit drops. Your mileage may vary of course. But mine almost always clear first, then drop.

mannye
07-29-2013, 08:32 PM

So cool. Almost ten days after going clear. Just tasted and its delightfully tart and fruity. Not the least bit bitter.

To quote giroteQ "this is f--ing awesome!"

Chevette Girl
07-31-2013, 12:17 AM
I love it when the raisins do the lava-lamp thing :)

joemirando
07-31-2013, 12:32 AM
I love it when the raisins do the lava-lamp thing :)
I've got a JAOM variant (everything by the book except I only added the zest and juice of the orange) that I started about 10 weeks ago. Its stopped fermenting, but isn't even considering clearing, and the raisins are still firmly up top. As a matter of fact, I was just about to go in and shake the hell out of it when I saw your post.

Joe

mannye
07-31-2013, 06:23 PM
They just float in equilibrium like a Galileo thermometer!

Chevette Girl
07-31-2013, 10:13 PM
Truth be told, sometimes I'm not as patient as I could be and I gently swirl my JAO's once I start seeing the clearing... it jiggles the yeast off the floaties and sometimes knocks CO2 out of the fruit.

mannye
08-01-2013, 08:26 AM
Yeah, I took readings a few days apart and being a paranoid former beer brewer, drank them instead of putting it back (that's my story and I'm sticking to it) so after the last "reading" where the number hasn't moved at all in about 10 days or so, I figure I'm close enough to done.

I'll be bottling on Friday evening and sampling on Saturday night with some friends.