PDA

View Full Version : Quick question about increasing size...

mannye
07-18-2013, 03:26 PM
And no, this isn't about Extenze Male Enhancement.. :D Made ya look though.. ;D

Anyway...here's the deal... I was going to try iloverose's Belgian Ale yeast experiment and the heat in Miami had its way with the smack pack resulting in what I thought was a dead pack.. so I went with a White Labs Trappist I was able to get locally...

Lo and behold about two or three days later the smack pack woke up! Not wanting to waste a what seems to be a good pack of yeast, I scrambled and threw it in an Erlenmeyer flask with one pound of honey and about 2000cc of water plus DAP and lo and behold I have a very vigorous ferment going on.

Today I went to get two more pounds of orange blossom honey in order to complete the original recipe... and here, finally, is my question.

Should I just put the honey in a one gallon carboy and consider the stuff in the flask a "super starter" and just pitch it in and go? Or should I do something to make sure I don't oxidize the whole thing, etc... I degassed the flask this morning and it blew everything out of the airlock! Now it's bubbling away furiously once more...

Riverat
07-18-2013, 03:57 PM
If it is still very active I don't think you have anything to worry about. Sounds like a super starter to me.

mannye
07-18-2013, 05:22 PM
That's what 'm going to find out! Seems I'm short a third one gallon carboy... time to get some apple juice...now what to do with one gallon of apple juice???

Riverat
07-18-2013, 05:30 PM
That's what 'm going to find out! Seems I'm short a third one gallon carboy... time to get some apple juice...now what to do with one gallon of apple juice???

LOL, the answer is always "more carboys"

B. Goldwater
07-18-2013, 06:10 PM
+1 Riverat

and raise you "Larger carboys"

mannye
07-18-2013, 07:53 PM
Oh that won't be an issue once I zero in on a recipe I like. I have three 5 gal bucket fermenters and at least one glass 5 gal carboy waiting to go into action.

Chevette Girl
07-19-2013, 10:57 AM
No reason you can't ferment in the 5 gal bucket while you wait for a carboy to free up... if it's releasing CO2 you don't really have to worry about oxidation...

mannye
07-19-2013, 07:47 PM
No reason you can't ferment in the 5 gal bucket while you wait for a carboy to free up... if it's releasing CO2 you don't really have to worry about oxidation...

True enough, but the end is only going to be one gallon, and I'm due to go get a gallon of apple juice (for the bottle) which I will store in a plastic jug until the 4th! carboy arrives in the mail... sigh.. I'll be one happy boy in about a week! I'm using an old old recipe I have for quick hard cider (just plain cider to you UK folk) that will have me drinking bubbly in about a week. Perfect for the summer!