PDA

View Full Version : Sediment on fermenter sidewalls.

pagan
07-18-2013, 10:09 PM
A one gallon recipe -
3lb honey.
25 raisins.
One clove.
One sliced orange.
Bread yeast.

2 weeks in the fermentation is coming along (seemingly) fine, lot's of activity, the airlock is as active after 2 weeks as it was on day one, but i've a white sediment building up on the demijohn/carboy walls.

Is that normal ?

Thanks in advance, this is my first brew. :)

theEnvoy
07-18-2013, 10:35 PM
Is the sediment just around the liquid surface line?

huesmann
07-19-2013, 02:36 PM
It's normal, depending how smooth your carboy is. Just give it a gentle swirl and it should drop right off.

ScotRob
07-22-2013, 06:10 PM
i wouldn't worry. looks like you are basically making JAOM, and when I make it I always get strange sediments and all sorts of build-up around the fruit and on the demijohn walls and base (i say "strange" because it is not what I am used to seeing when I make wine)....but it all works out fine in the end, just let it do its thing, let it clear, then rack and all will be well.

pagan
02-05-2014, 10:47 PM
Apologies for not getting back on this, i forgot and couldn't retrieve my log in details, but i've sorted that now, and the batch went down very smoothly eventually. On my 6th batch now, but no doubt i'll be asking a few more questions now i've finally managed to log in. ;D

GntlKnigt1
02-07-2014, 03:55 AM
Apologies for not getting back on this, i forgot and couldn't retrieve my log in details, but i've sorted that now, and the batch went down very smoothly eventually. On my 6th batch now, but no doubt i'll be asking a few more questions now i've finally managed to log in. ;D

LOL... from July to January,,,,, 6 batches in 6 months. I think pagan has gotten the mead making "bug".

Welcome to the club !!!