• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Sediment on fermenter sidewalls.

Barrel Char Wood Products

pagan

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 18, 2013
A one gallon recipe -
3lb honey.
25 raisins.
One clove.
One sliced orange.
Bread yeast.

2 weeks in the fermentation is coming along (seemingly) fine, lot's of activity, the airlock is as active after 2 weeks as it was on day one, but i've a white sediment building up on the demijohn/carboy walls.

Is that normal ?

Thanks in advance, this is my first brew. :)

huesmann

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Aug 22, 2011
It's normal, depending how smooth your carboy is. Just give it a gentle swirl and it should drop right off.

ScotRob

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 31, 2012
Perth, Scotland
i wouldn't worry. looks like you are basically making JAOM, and when I make it I always get strange sediments and all sorts of build-up around the fruit and on the demijohn walls and base (i say "strange" because it is not what I am used to seeing when I make wine)....but it all works out fine in the end, just let it do its thing, let it clear, then rack and all will be well.

pagan

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 18, 2013
Apologies for not getting back on this, i forgot and couldn't retrieve my log in details, but i've sorted that now, and the batch went down very smoothly eventually. On my 6th batch now, but no doubt i'll be asking a few more questions now i've finally managed to log in. ;D

GntlKnigt1

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Mar 17, 2004
Chicago area formerly Netherlands
Apologies for not getting back on this, i forgot and couldn't retrieve my log in details, but i've sorted that now, and the batch went down very smoothly eventually. On my 6th batch now, but no doubt i'll be asking a few more questions now i've finally managed to log in. ;D

LOL... from July to January,,,,, 6 batches in 6 months. I think pagan has gotten the mead making "bug".

Welcome to the club !!!

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns