PDA

View Full Version : Constant Aeration

NoBeard
07-19-2013, 04:13 PM
Hi,
Newbie here,
Just starting my 2nd Cyser and I've got an aeration question.

I have conical fermenters and the ability to hook up an aquarium pump to a .5 micron stone through the bottom of the conical and leave it running.

I've read a lot on the site about aerating regularly until the 1/3 sugar break, but I'm wondering if that extends all the way to just leaving the pump running constantly until that time?

Would that be a good idea?

Thanks very much,

NB

fatbloke
07-19-2013, 05:16 PM
Well while I'm a proponent for twice or even thrice aeration daily, that should....be enough O2/air for yeast development.

Plus while meads and honey don't oxidise as readily as wines or beers, is there any reason to tempt providence ?

I also seem to recall that when air/O2 is present, yeast produce more CO2 and less alcohol, so logic dictates that enough air to foster strong cell/colony growth but if I'm pretty sure excessive O2 might have detrimental effect.......

mannye
07-19-2013, 08:19 PM
Well, if you had TWO conicals....you could try one with constant and one with intermittent and if you have THREE... Then you would be my hero....

NoBeard
07-19-2013, 09:22 PM
Well, if you had TWO conicals....you could try one with constant and one with intermittent and if you have THREE... Then you would be my hero....

Hmmm,

Not sure how to tell you this but...

I have 4 x 22 Gallon Brewhemoth Conicals.

NB

mannye
07-19-2013, 11:36 PM
Ummmm DAD? Is that you Dad?:D

Well then there you have it... a control batch with only the initial aeration, one with the intermittent and one constant and you'll be able to measure the results! Plus have three batches of mead to drink!

While you make a nice Summer Ale in the fourth! Wow! Those things are huge! (that's what she said) How many gallons can you actually make? Half a barrel in each so, three would be 46.5 gallons??? Is that right? Yay!

NoBeard
07-20-2013, 06:34 AM
Tried to upload a photo of my 3 Temp Controlled ones (and my barrel), the fourth one is in a conditioning room.
Resized appropriately but the site wouldn't let me, maybe newbies can't upload photos?
Anyway, changed my Avatar to show them.

They say 15.5 gallon capacity on the site for lots of headroom, but if I use a good blowoff getting 20 gallons each in isn't a problem. Also when I pressure ferment I don't have any troubles.
I expect that if I get in to big melomels, I'll stick to 15 gallons, but with plain stuff, I'll go with 20 gallons at at time.

Unfortunately, both my kids have already staked a claim on a couple each, so no room for extra kids...sorry!

NB

mannye
07-20-2013, 05:28 PM
Aw poop. Now I have to buy my own! You have enough capacity there to go pro. Are you supplying local pubs with a keg once in a while?