PDA

View Full Version : Holy JAOM Batman! It's Amazing!

mannye
07-22-2013, 04:39 PM
Ok! So I got my wine thief and couldn't wait anymore so I stole a cordial glass full of JAOM. 926

I am hooked! If this is how good the first effort is, I can't wait to taste this stuff when I know what I am doing! Unbelievable.

Before this, I went out and bought a bunch of commercial meads to sort of educate my palate but this by far is the best mead I have tried! A teeeensy bit too sweet, but even through the "hot" one can tell that it will be spectacular in about a month.

But the more important thing is that it's not just drinkable, it's DELICIOUS!

This is the same feeling I got when I had my first sip of a cold homebrew 20somethjng years ago. I am in trouble now!

ScotRob
07-22-2013, 06:06 PM
i think people (both beginners and more experienced) are always surprised at what a good little recipe JAOM really is...it's (almost) foolproof, very speedy compared to some meads (try making a show mead with Heather honey and see how long you have to wait until you can drink it!). My only suggestion would be to leave your JAOM for 3-6 months (if you can wait that long!) as it really does improve with longer storage (up to a year or more it will keep mellowing, losing any pithy flavour, spice flavour becoming softer...a real treat). i made my most recent batch at the end of March so that I could bottle it in June and then enjoy 6 month aged mead at Christmas time.

mannye
07-22-2013, 06:19 PM
It has a little bit of a pithy aftertaste kind of like the bittering oils from the peel stick around at the end, but that doesn't take away from the awesomeness..

I take it back, this is EVEN better than that first taste of homebrew. It's a good thing I'm on a diet or I would be racking, filtering, bottling and setting up a 10 pound picnic in the Weber smoker this weekend! I can just imagine how good this is going to taste with a nice spicy pulled pork sandwich.