PDA

View Full Version : Flexible Glass? What? I feel a beheading!

mannye
07-22-2013, 05:40 PM
I saw this:

http://www.homebrewing.com/equipment/3-gallon-better-bottle.php

What? Flexible glass? Didn't Julius Caesar cut that guy's head off?

Jim H
07-22-2013, 07:41 PM
Ugh. What bad advertising. It isn't glass, it's PET - a non-reactive, non-absorbing plastic. I have two of them. They definitely are not glass.

Gorilla glass - the stuff on your iPhone - that's flexible glass.

mannye
07-22-2013, 07:51 PM
I figured as much. It made me laugh a little as I remembered Scotty giving the recipe for transparent aluminum to that glass company so they could save the whale... sigh.

Anyway... did a little research and Corning, the same guys that make Gorilla glass actually make real flexible glass! Turns out Gorilla glass isn't really flexible, but this new stuff is as thin as copy paper and just as flexible!

Jim H
07-22-2013, 07:53 PM
Huh. I saw a demo of gorilla glass on PBS's Nova, and it was pretty darn flexible. I guess it wasn't as flexible as the formula you saw.

mannye
07-22-2013, 07:56 PM
I would say no...

Wait... lemme get a picture to work...

It ain't working... linky

http://www.technobuffalo.com/2013/02/28/corning-willow-glass-devices-wont-come-for-3-years/

Jim H
07-22-2013, 08:15 PM
:eek:

that's bendy!

drako824
07-23-2013, 01:31 PM
I figured as much. It made me laugh a little as I remembered Scotty giving the recipe for transparent aluminum to that glass company so they could save the whale... sigh.
they can make that now
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aluminium_oxynitride
a transparent ceramic made primarily from aluminum, nitrogen and oxygen

joemirando
07-23-2013, 02:08 PM

Anyway... did a little research and Corning, the same guys that make Gorilla glass actually make real flexible glass! Turns out Gorilla glass isn't really flexible, but this new stuff is as thin as copy paper and just as flexible!
<Nerd Alert>

The product was plexiglass ("I see you're still working with polymers"). The company was Plexicorp.

</Nerd Alert>

NOW to get to work on manufacturing a carboy out of transparent aluminum. Imagine a carboy that would be just as sturdy, but only 1/16" thick. <G>

And if i remember correctly, Gorilla Glass is pretty much 'regular' glass that has been immersed in a... hmmm.... molten bath of potassium, I think, which displaces some of the sodium ions in the lattice structure of the glass, giving it much greater strength and scratch resistance. I'm not even positive that its inherently stronger than 'regular' glass on an absolute scale, just that the exchange of sodium ions for potassium keeps cracks from propagating, so a microscopic ding doesn't grow and race from edge to edge.

Now ain't THAT just more than you ever wanted to know? <G>

-Joe

mannye
07-23-2013, 02:30 PM
they can make that now
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aluminium_oxynitride
a transparent ceramic made primarily from aluminum, nitrogen and oxygen

Just goes to show...if you want it invented, put it in Star Trek. Someone should get Majel Barret to record every word in the dictionary so we can have the right voice when the time comes.

Bob1016
07-23-2013, 06:29 PM
Um, didn't she pass a few years ago?

mannye
07-23-2013, 06:33 PM
oh poop! She did indeed. That's too bad. Hopefully all her appearances on the show will help us get that track.

joemirando
07-23-2013, 06:42 PM
Um, didn't she pass a few years ago?
Yeah, she did. And unfortunately, "ya canna' change the laws a physics".

:)

BBBF
07-24-2013, 01:47 PM
Just goes to show...if you want it invented, put it in Star Trek. Someone should get Majel Barret to record every word in the dictionary so we can have the right voice when the time comes.

Except the process was patented in 1980 and Star Trek 4 came out in 1986.

mannye
07-30-2013, 03:29 PM
Except the process was patented in 1980 and Star Trek 4 came out in 1986.

Yeah but...... Yeah.