PDA

View Full Version : What happens if I use a little apple juice?

mannye
07-23-2013, 08:18 PM
Here's the problem,

My one gallon container is full of apple juice...

I can only empty 3 liters into another container which will leave me with almost a liter of cheap supermarket apple juice to either dispose of, drink or leave in the bottle.

I wouldn't normally worry about it at all except this isn't Treetop or some other unmolested product...this is that clear stuff that probably also comes in little plastic foil covered cups you get in airplanes or jail...

joemirando
07-23-2013, 09:08 PM
Here's the problem,

My one gallon container is full of apple juice...

I can only empty 3 liters into another container which will leave me with almost a liter of cheap supermarket apple juice to either dispose of, drink or leave in the bottle.

I wouldn't normally worry about it at all except this isn't Treetop or some other unmolested product...this is that clear stuff that probably also comes in little plastic foil covered cups you get in airplanes or jail...
If you end up drinking it, just check with the urology department first. <ducking>

If you happen to be in the process of putting a batch of must together, and are in the mood to experiment, you could always add it to the must.

Joe

Jim H
07-23-2013, 09:43 PM
...this is that clear stuff that probably also comes in little plastic foil covered cups you get in airplanes or jail...

Hmm. Jailhouse cyser. Interesting concept.

Going to use a sweaty sock to start fermentation?

mannye
07-23-2013, 10:45 PM
You guys are a riot.

I will just put the freaking apple juice in there and see what happens.

joemirando
07-23-2013, 11:42 PM
You guys are a riot.

I will just put the freaking apple juice in there and see what happens.
Seriously though, I would take a quick look around for a cyser recipe.

I've never made a cyser, but I have tried making a hard cider, which is aging now. It tastes quite thin, despite the mulling spices I added. I would assume that adding apple juice would require a little bit of attention to the SG to make sure it doesn't get too thick and bog your yeast down, but that shouldn't be too much of a problem.

I'm a newbie, so I really DON'T have much to offer in the way of experience, unfortunately. They just let me hang around here for comedy relief. ;)

NOW you've got me thinking of a nice semi-dry cyser for the holidays. Hmmmm... do I have time? Let's see.

Good luck,

Joe

Chevette Girl
07-24-2013, 07:23 AM
Just keep in mind that apple juice on its own as a SG around 1.050 (or at least, the stuff I've made does) so you'll have to factor that in when you figure out how much honey to add.

I rather liked using cheap apple juice for topping off, but cysers are cool too. Or you can ferment it then leave it open to air (use a cloth cover to prevent fruit flies), and maybe get some cider vinegar :)

THawk
07-24-2013, 09:25 AM
Do an Apple Spice JAOM... It's in my mead log...

mannye
07-25-2013, 03:02 PM
Ok! Soon as I get back from Atlanta.