PDA

View Full Version : Quantities of water & honey

DGettere
07-26-2013, 12:03 PM
I was listening to a podcast and they were talking about water to honey ratios.

Just a dumb question when they say 1:3 does that mean 1 pound or 1 gallon honey to three gallons water?

:confused:

Bob1016
07-26-2013, 12:11 PM
Was it the Sunday session with Mike Fau, Oskaar, and Vickie? Just wondering, it's a great podcast episode that I have listened to several times.
Normally we measure in lbs honey per gallon of must, but for polish meads it is a volume to volume ratio. They each have a distinct name that I can't recall, but I know there is 1:3, 1:2, 1:1, and 2:1 with honey being the first number. I also think that there are alcohol levels required by law for each one, but someone else will have to tell you those, I don't know them.

fatbloke
07-26-2013, 02:35 PM
Was it the Sunday session with Mike Fau, Oskaar, and Vickie? Just wondering, it's a great podcast episode that I have listened to several times.
Normally we measure in lbs honey per gallon of must, but for polish meads it is a volume to volume ratio. They each have a distinct name that I can't recall, but I know there is 1:3, 1:2, 1:1, and 2:1 with honey being the first number. I also think that there are alcohol levels required by law for each one, but someone else will have to tell you those, I don't know them.
I posted a badly translated (google) copy of the Polish government document that explains that a good while ago.

I don't recall whether it was called polish mead names, definitions or something else (I'd link it if I wasn't posting from a smartphone).

ammymorcle
07-27-2013, 12:40 AM
1 gallon water in 3 gallons honey.

Bob1016
07-27-2013, 01:03 AM
2) The division, depending on the density of the wort.
• Półtorak: 1 part by volume of honey and 0.5 parts by volume of water. The density of the wort BLG 57-66. Maturation of about 10 years.
• Dwójniak: 1 part by volume of honey and 1 part by volume of water. The density of the wort BLG 45-53. Maturation of approximately 5 years.
• Trójniak: 1 part by volume of honey and 2 parts water by volume. The density of the wort BLG 32-37. Maturation of about 2-3 years.
• Czwórniak: 1 part by volume of honey and 3 parts by volume of water. The density of the wort BLG 25-29. Maturation about a year.
From FB's aforementioned post.
So 2:1, 1:1, 1:2, and 1:3 as honey:water not the other way around, I can't imagine a 3:1 honey:water, that's 1.321 SG or almost 65 brix, I don't think that could even ferment, honey itself is 78-82 brix.
If it could ferment, and you got 18%abv, that would be an FG of 1.180!

fatbloke
07-27-2013, 06:21 AM
1 gallon water in 3 gallons honey.
No, the other way round. 1 water to 3 honey would be unfermentable.

Even with the poltorak recipe there's many points of conjecture as to how 2 honey to 1 water would be fermented. Probably step feeding until it has the required honey to water ratio or something like that.....

danr
07-27-2013, 10:32 AM
No, the other way round. 1 water to 3 honey would be unfermentable.

As fatbloke says. For a 5 gallon batch 1:3 honey:water equates to 15 pounds of honey (12# of honey in a gallon), topped off to 5 gallons with water.