• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Blueberry melomel with D21?

Barrel Char Wood Products

Shodan

NewBee
Registered Member
May 13, 2013
Chicago, IL
Well I just spent a week in Michigan, and came home with 16 lbs of freshly-picked blueberries, which are now cooling their heels in my freezer. I also picked up 10 lbs of Michigan wildflower honey. I need to supplement that with 10 more lbs of honey, not sure yet what type to get.

My plan is to mix 20 lbs of honey with the 16 lbs of blueberries, which I will mash up before mixing, and add water up to 6 gallons. After reading through the forums I think I will put most, if not all, of the berries in the primary. I have some D21 on hand.

Has anybody used D21 yeast for a blueberry mel? Should I stick with a lighter honey for this recipe, or would throwing in about 5 lbs of buckwheat be a good idea?

Thanks in advance.

moridin

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 12, 2013
Vancouver, B.C.
Lol you'd be fine using it. Tbh any yeast will do the trick for the most part ( jaom asked for bread yeast). I do know that 71b typically is used for mels, but the next best thing would most likely be d21

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns