PDA

View Full Version : Bee Deaths Identified?

MitchSmit
07-29-2013, 11:25 AM
Sooo, they have narrowed down the problem. I am sure this has been discussed and touched on a few times already, but thought some might find the read interesting.

http://qz.com/107970/scientists-disc...n-you-thought/

Bob1016
07-29-2013, 12:23 PM
Anyone else feel like the target of natural selection?
Man plants crop, man eats crop. Man grows in numbers, man plants more crops. Man plants too much crop, disease attacks crop. Man invents pesticide, pesticide kills bees. Bees don't pollinate crop, man decreases in number.
I gaurentee will get the next part wrong too.
Option 1: man start living closer together to allow nature to recoop, disease attacks man. Man dies.
Option 2: man breads (makes GMO crops) more self polinating crops, man becomes allergic to new phyochemical. Man dies.
Option 3: plants fight back, mark wahlberg save his family from killer plants. (I really didn't like that movie)
Option 4: man gives up, man dies.
They all suck, and we're not wise enough to realize that we got ourselves in this mess and derserve the consequences.
Man, I guess I'm a cynic.

Vance G
07-29-2013, 03:29 PM
Never have so many people went to bed with a full stomach and so few mothers cried all night for their dead children. We have problems, we will fix problems--which are by my estimation rich mans problems.

But then I used a two holer along the Canadian Line in North Dakota til I left for college. Life is a lot better now. Rivers don't catch on fire and there are actually so many golden eagles that I won't tell on the sheep farmers when they thin them out so they can have a lamb crop. Life is very good. Just because we need to forcefully campaign for controls on truly harmful pesticides, does not mean we need to have the vapors over everything.

joemirando
07-29-2013, 04:59 PM
Both are very valid points. The problem is that our numbers have grown more than our wisdom.

There is no way we could feed the world without modified crops. Perhaps Mother Nature has taken this into account and we'll end up decreasing our own numbers by trying to modify what Mother Nature has already come up with. I just wonder what's next.

Man plants crops
Man eats crops
Man multiplies
Man modifies crops
Crops multiply
Crops eat Man

And Soylent Green is people!

Chevette Girl
07-29-2013, 06:34 PM
Well, we haven't always been that sensible when it comes to how and where we grow our crops either, the most fertile land in the whole province here is paved over, under Toronto...

I hope we can come up with some solutions that don't make the problems worse.

mannye
07-30-2013, 12:47 AM
These conversations always make me think that we think we're so smart, but in the end we are no smarter than yeast. We consume and consume until we make enough change to the environment that we die. Or the owners of the custom planet industry of Magrathea come and shut the place down because Deep Thought figured out the answer was "drink more mead."

Bob1016
07-30-2013, 06:22 PM
I think that was the most hilarious post ever! And the yeast comparison is spot on, but I will argue that every living thing on the planet acts in such abehavior, there is a constant repetition of growth and demise which is the basis of natural selection. It realy is a beautiful thing, regardless of wether or not we are next to fall.