PDA

View Full Version : Sweeter as you drink?

mannye
08-03-2013, 01:16 PM
My wife and I noticed last night the as we drank one then two then three glasses of JAOM that each glass tasted sweeter than the last. Is that common?

TheGiantGinger
08-04-2013, 07:07 AM
Considering your brain likes change and normally filters out the same information I would've thought not. Though I have found that the meads I've tried taste better the next night (maybe from some slight aeration/oxidisation?).

Jim H
08-04-2013, 09:08 AM
...Though I have found that the meads I've tried taste better the next night (maybe from some slight aeration/oxidisation?).

There might be something to this. I've noticed that well-aerated wines taste differently than non aerated. The volatile alcohol taste definitely disappears, and you can more easily sense the underlying flavors, odors and structure of the wine.

What you might think is "sweeter" might be the dissipation of other flavors that have aerated off... so you taste the sweet more strongly.

Marshmallow Blue
08-05-2013, 09:50 AM
I'm 99% sure its because as you drink alcohol, you start to not taste it. Since you cant taste the alcohol, the sweeter flavors and other notes are all that's left.

An experiment for you folks. At the beginning of you're next drinking extravaganza. take a shot of higher proof alcohol (something with some flavor like spiced rum). Then go get drunk. Then at the end of the night, take just half a shot (or a full shot if your stomach can handle it (we don't need people throwing up in the name of science). It will taste way less hot than when you started your night.

Even over a glass of a big red wine, you would be able to notice by your second glass.

Riverat
08-05-2013, 11:41 AM
My wife and I noticed last night the as we drank one then two then three glasses of JAOM that each glass tasted sweeter than the last. Is that common?

I don't suppose you served the bottle chilled and it warmed up? For me cooler temps seem to reduce the perception of sweetnes

Maatmes
08-05-2013, 12:35 PM
I think this is the same principle as beer/mead goggles...

-Maatmes

UKTony
08-05-2013, 02:54 PM
I think this is the same principle as beer/mead goggles...

-Maatmes

I was thinking it since the start of the thread, I'm glad someone finally said it!!

+1

mannye
08-05-2013, 04:45 PM
Hmmm. Mead goggles. Perhaps. But I would think the opposite would be true. The drunker I would get, the LESS I would taste everything.

Aren't wine flights set up dry to sweet?

The great thing is that this weekend we get to "try again". Lol.

Marshmallow Blue
08-05-2013, 04:47 PM
nope, just less alcohol. And possibly all bad tasting food in general since sometimes I get the drunk munchies and eat my pantry, wood n all.