PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone else out there had this happen?

YogiBearMead726
08-05-2013, 02:10 AM
It seems at least 50% of the time, when I tell someone that "I make mead", they hear, "I make meat." And when they then ask how that works, I watch the confusion grow as I describe yeast fermenting honey, aging for years...

Honestly, is mead that foreign that people confuse it with the word "meat"? Or do I just need to learn to speak clearly?

Marshmallow Blue
08-05-2013, 09:52 AM
It seems at least 50% of the time, when I tell someone that "I make mead", they hear, "I make meat." And when they then ask how that works, I watch the confusion grow as I describe yeast fermenting honey, aging for years...

Honestly, is mead that foreign that people confuse it with the word "meat"? Or do I just need to learn to speak clearly?

Nope, it happens top us all. What kind of meat do you make? *puzzled faces.

Now I just tell people I make honeywine so I don't have to talk like a kindergarten teacher. MMEEEAAAADDDDDDDDDD with a DDDDDD sound

MitchSmit
08-05-2013, 10:12 AM
It's going to keep happening to you. You are better off just stating you make wine, or even better, honey wine.

joemirando
08-05-2013, 11:26 AM
I once made someone guess what kind of wine I was making.

I mentioned that I had a 'jug of special wine' fermenting as we spoke, and they said "grape?". "No", I answered, "guess again".

"Apricot? Elderberry, cherry, plum, apple, strawberry..." and on and on until they got to "Tomato? Dandelion? Friggin' cabbage?? WHAT? Is it even a fruit?"

"No, and its not a vegetable either".

They went insane as I smiled (chicken and egg kind of thing<grin>), until finally they looked in horror and said, "are you making it out of some kind of MEAT??"

Heh heh, Klingon Blood Wine. THAT'S what I should have told them!

Joe

stagnant waters
08-05-2013, 11:28 AM
Well, scientists in England just produced 5 oz of lab cultured beef and had a taste testing over the weekend. You could try making meat. The only downside is that the cultured meat would cost about $30.00 per pound- making it almost as expensive as mead...

Matrix4b
08-05-2013, 12:18 PM
I get this all the time. Once I see the confusion, I say "Honeywine. Spelled M-E-A-D." They then ask me how to make it or seem more interested. Meat and Mead are similar sounding and most of the time when I tell some one that I brew Mead there is a lot of background noise. So "Honeywine" like wine but made with honey instead of grapes. Seems to get their attention. Some ask me if it's sweet or go "I don't like very sweet drinks." I then tell them like wine it has various sweetness levels and you can brew a very dry mead that tastes great and that it's more flexible in it's varying flavors than beer or wine. Some people you can't please but there's a mead out there for everyone. No matter your tastes.

Matrix

BBBF
08-05-2013, 01:17 PM
Well, scientists in England just produced 5 oz of lab cultured beef and had a taste testing over the weekend. You could try making meat. The only downside is that the cultured meat would cost about $30.00 per pound- making it almost as expensive as mead...

Yeah, I was going to say that it will only get worse.

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2013/aug/05/world-first-synthetic-hamburger-mouth-feel

UKTony
08-05-2013, 02:51 PM
I'm with Joe, when people/family ask about it I just say I brew wine, since in essence that's exactly what it is and saves a whole bunch of confusion unless they express further interest, then I go from there.

Tony

Chevette Girl
08-05-2013, 06:46 PM
Being primarily a winemaker, I don't run into this often, but when I do, to allay confusion I usually answer with something like, "Mead. you know, honey wine."

mannye
08-06-2013, 11:24 AM
I once made someone guess what kind of wine I was making.

I mentioned that I had a 'jug of special wine' fermenting as we spoke, and they said "grape?". "No", I answered, "guess again".

"Apricot? Elderberry, cherry, plum, apple, strawberry..." and on and on until they got to "Tomato? Dandelion? Friggin' cabbage?? WHAT? Is it even a fruit?"

"No, and its not a vegetable either".

They went insane as I smiled (chicken and egg kind of thing<grin>), until finally they looked in horror and said, "are you making it out of some kind of MEAT??"

Heh heh, Klingon Blood Wine. THAT'S what I should have told them!

Joe

Elderberry? Someone guessed Elderberry? Were you screening Monty Python and the Holy Grail?

joemirando
08-06-2013, 12:23 PM
Elderberry? Someone guessed Elderberry? Were you screening Monty Python and the Holy Grail?

Ah yes, elderberry melomel. The drink of choice for kiiii-neggets! NEE!

They didn't get to find out since they couldn't tell me what the average airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow might be.

Joe

mannye
08-07-2013, 08:02 AM
Even at my local pub, I told the bartender, who is from England, that I was making mead and he understood "meat". Then he didn't know what mead was. I forgave him because he's like 30. But I almost revoked his Dr. Who geek status.

Matrix4b
08-07-2013, 04:25 PM
Being primarily a winemaker, I don't run into this often, but when I do, to allay confusion I usually answer with something like, "Mead. you know, honey wine."

Reminded me of this quote:
"You must remember that these are simple, salt of the earth type of people.......You know, Morons."

Ok, I may have misquoted it a bit. But just the way you phrased that made me think of it.

Matrix

Chevette Girl
08-07-2013, 09:55 PM
Reminded me of this quote:
"You must remember that these are simple, salt of the earth type of people.......You know, Morons."

Ok, I may have misquoted it a bit. But just the way you phrased that made me think of it.

Matrix

Bwahaahaahaa!! You know, some days, I do have to use only small words...

Vandall
08-09-2013, 11:51 AM
Ah yes, elderberry melomel. The drink of choice for kiiii-neggets! NEE!

They didn't get to find out since they couldn't tell me what the average airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow might be.

Joe

Is that an African or a European swallow ?

mannye
08-09-2013, 12:23 PM

Careful... you don't want to get thrown off the bridge!

joemirando
08-09-2013, 02:02 PM

I don't know that. Boing!

rmccask
08-09-2013, 07:04 PM
Blue.... No, YYYEEEELLLLOOOWWWWW!!!!

joemirando
08-09-2013, 07:20 PM
Blue.... No, YYYEEEELLLLOOOWWWWW!!!!

Ok, put down those two halves of coconuts and walk away slowly. ;)

skunkboy
08-09-2013, 07:46 PM
No, people just hear mea* and assume you said meat, because they are sure mead isn't really something, and meat sounds closest. Has happened to me a couple of times...

Chevette Girl
08-10-2013, 10:03 AM
Heh, that little "auto-complete" program running in your head... Damn you, autocorrect!