PDA

View Full Version : First Mead recipe review

Big Willy
08-08-2013, 05:13 PM
Hello I am about to embark on my first mead and hoped to have some educated people review my recipe. I hope this will finish as a lemon Iced Tea Metheglin ABV or 13% - 14% and hope for a FG of 1 to 1.005 if my math is right I should have and OG of 1.105. Here is the recipe it is for a 15 gal batch.
Please give your suggestions on what I should alter with a quick explanation why.
Thank you All

primary ferment
2 cups raisin
pectic enzyme
45 lbs clover honey
the earl gray tea 48 oz loose leaf
Filtered water 12 gallons
71B-1122 yeast and nutrient/energizer
Secondary ferment
juice & zest of 15 lemons
Campden tablets

Mince raisins and bring 4 cups water to a boil, simmer raisins 5 min.
Add 4 cups of cold water, cool till 70 Fahrenheit then pitch pectic enzyme, let stand for 12 hours.

Boil 11.25 gallons of water add loose tea in cheesecloth or muslin bag, let steep no longer than 3 min

Use 2 gallons of Tea water into large kettle and heat to 175F. Once near boiling add honey and begin stirring. This drops the temp to approximately 150F. adjust heat to stabilize the mixture at this temperature. continue stirring intermittently for about 15 minutes. At this point it should have a nice smooth consistency. At this point add the yeast nutrient 5 tbsp yeast and energizer 5 tbsp

Rehydration of yeast 4 tbsp at 104F with 4 tsp rehydration nutrient, stand for 30 min

Add everything to the primary and vigorously mix again adding air.
Pitch yeast at 70 fahrenheit, mixing for 5 min adding more air.
Let stand for 24 hrs open then add your airlock.
[Addition of 9 grams (approximately 2.25 teaspoons) Yeast energizer, plus 12 grams (3 teaspoon) Yeast nutrient to must with a vigorous aeration at the end of the lag phase] - (six to 12 hours, at the start of obvious fermentation activity)

Over the next 5 days add 3 tsp of nutrient/energizer.

Rack after 4 weeks into secondary
Zest 15 lemons into a bowl and add vodka to cover, let stand 24 hrs.
add juice and zest/vodka, keep zest in cheesecloth or muslin bag.

Taste weekly for lemon flavour and remove zest once achieved, rack on top of bentonite.
After 4 weeks add 15 campden tablets and 7 tsp potassium sorbate (30 min later) dissolved in a small amount of mead. Once treated you can back sweeten. Wait to sweeten 1 day after treating then bottle.

ScotRob
08-09-2013, 05:31 AM
One quick comment (again, from my experience as a wine maker rather than a mead maker): raisins will impart both flvaour AND colour to any wine/mead you add them too...this may or may not be a good thing. my preference is always to use sultanas instead, which being much lighter in colour won't affect the colour of your mead and also won't give as much of their own flavour to it.

Big Willy
08-09-2013, 09:24 PM
thanks, is there a difference between Sultanas and white raisins? I had hoped to use white raisins. Other than that does everything else looks correct?

THawk
08-09-2013, 11:35 PM
You don't need filtered water or distilled water. Tap water works just fine.

ScotRob
08-11-2013, 05:53 AM
No, i think sultanas and white raisins are pretty much the same for this purpose: light gold colour (so won't colour your mead), milder flavour than black raisins....but still with the same nutrient values for helping your yeast, and still able to provide "vinosity" ("wine-ness") to your mead