• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Meat and Mead

Barrel Char Wood Products

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
View attachment 935

That's 15 pounds of Boston Butt going into the Weber Smoky Mountain smoker. It will be ready in 15 hours or so. I think it's going to go very well with a nice cold mug of JAOM.

kudapucat

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 2, 2010
Bundoora, Melbourne, Australia
Hah! You must be on my side of the globe to be doing that this time of year!
I've just put down 60lb of prosciutto, 50lb of bacon, 5lb of coppacoli, and I have some 40lb of ham in the freezer that I'm saving so its ready for Christmas.
The Boston butts were boned, ground and made into sausage and bolognaise.
I'm not font of that bit. The picnic is much easier to deal with if we're talking forequarters.
I learnt something this year: my new dog can make a full trotter disappear in under 5 minutes of terrible crunching noises.

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
Joe, anyone that shows up to Miami Beach tomorrow will get a nice pulled pork sandwich and a beer... 'cause the mead is almost all gone!

kudapu... it's that time of year year round in Miami Beach.

kudapucat

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 2, 2010
I suppose if you're roasting its ok. But we only slaughter midwinter. I makes the refrigeration costs much lower.
But pulled pork eh? That's got to be my favourite dish that I had in the US.
Home made ranch dressing to go with it?

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
I suppose if you're roasting its ok. But we only slaughter midwinter. I makes the refrigeration costs much lower.
But pulled pork eh? That's got to be my favourite dish that I had in the US.
Home made ranch dressing to go with it?

vinegar based BBQ sauce. onions, tomato paste, garlic, cayenne pepper, brown sugar, apple cider vinegar, paprika, salt and black pepper and a few other "top secret" ingredients... yum.

kudapucat

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 2, 2010
Arrgh!
Every good bbq sauce in the USA has secret ingredients!
Everybody who does this to me again will be treated to my top-secret recipe for chocolate death mud cake.
See how they like it :p

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
This recipe comes from a BBQ place in BC I think (so it's a good Canadian bbq sauce recipe), that can't keep up with business so they shared their recipe. Around our house, this stuff goes in a ketchup bottle labelled, "Awesome Sauce" and two of our friends make it regularly as well.

Memphis Blues all purpose sauce

16 oz tin of tomato paste

½ cup ketchup

½ cup yellow mustard

1 cup molasses

1 cup brown sugar

1 tbsp dry rub

½ cup honey

1 cup white vinegar

½ cup soy sauce

¼ cup Worcestershire sauce

¼ cup garlic powder

¼ cup onion powder

1 tbsp hot sauce

½ cup water

Mix ingredients well, simmer for 1 hour. Head to the BBQ and slather away

-Tish Thibault, manager of Memphis Blues Barbeque House​

fatbloke

good egg/snappy dresser.....
GotMead Patron
Funny really. What is routinely termed "BBQ" here, would just be described as "grilling" in the US.

I saw a foody type prog on the telly that said about "proper" bbqing and then promptly located and bought a smoker type cooker. Different make from mannye's one, but very similar looking.

Downside being that just too grill, I need the bloody sun to stay out for a couple of hours, but to smoke properly, start early and be prepared for a late dinner ;D

As with anything that's routinely done in "warmer climes" (English speaking ones at any rate), it can be a bit of a pain to find a reliable recipe to home make the "whatever" to a reasonable standard.

I'm gonna try this one for home produced BBQ sauce.

There's also a few places over here who do, what looks like, decent pre-mixed meat rub's as well - could make one myself, as we're not short of small Asian markets/grocers who do all the various spices and more at good prices and in bulk if need be...... I'm just lazy.

Hopefully mannye's meat came out Ok :p:rolleyes:;D

Just thinking actually......I suspect if I did a big batch of slow smoked meat, I just portion it up and chuck it in the freezer. I could just reheat it slowish, on the grill part.....

Hum ? now that has got me thinking..........

WVMJack

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 12, 2013
Karnage, WV
www.wvmjack.com
Kadapucat, We dont like recipes with secret ingredients in the either so we will share ours.

Based on Carolina style:
1 cup cider vinegar
1 cup rice wine vinegar
1/4 cup honey
3/4 cup yellow mustard or your favorite mustard
2 tablespoons hot pepper flakes, preferable a mix from long asian and habs
2 teaspoons black pepper
1/4 teaspoon secret ingredient

Save some after mixed to dip, and some to mix back into the meat after its pulled, add several times during smoking.

WVMJ

Arrgh!
Every good bbq sauce in the USA has secret ingredients!
Everybody who does this to me again will be treated to my top-secret recipe for chocolate death mud cake.
See how they like it :p

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
OK fine!

Here is the base recipe I use for my BBQ sauce... it's not just tarted up ketchup which a lot of so call ed "made from scratch" recipes are. I got this one from Emeril Lagasse when he was on the air. It's a great base for making just as published or modifying to your liking. I like making it sweeter and hotter so I adjust accordingly. Sometimes I add guava paste or a half inch of anchovy paste (comes in a little tube) and once I even made it with orange juice replacing half the sugar (boiled it down...not a successful experiment).

Homemade Barbecue Sauce:

4 tablespoons unsalted butter

1 1/2 cups finely chopped onions

6 cloves garlic, finely chopped

2 1/4 teaspoons sweet paprika

2 teaspoons Essence, recipe follows

2 teaspoons dry mustard

1 1/4 teaspoons salt

1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper

1/2 teaspoon black pepper

1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste

1 1/2 cups water

3/4 cup cider vinegar

6 tablespoons dark brown sugar

In a medium non-reactive saucepan set over medium-high heat, add the butter and, when melted, add the onions and cook until they are very soft, about 4 minutes. Add the garlic, paprika, Essence, ground mustard, salt, crushed red pepper, black pepper, and cayenne pepper and cook for 2 minutes. Add the tomato paste and cook, stirring frequently, for 2 minutes, or until the tomato paste begins to brown. Add the water, cider vinegar, and dark brown sugar, and stir to combine. Reduce the heat to low and cook until the sauce has thickened and the flavors have come together, about 15 to 20 minutes.

The trick is to make sure you cook the paste for a while and NEVER stop stirring that paste until you add the water... you have to watch it very carefully and it can't sit in the pan for even a second or it will scorch and get bitter.

Also the times are way off... it takes longer than 4 minutes to get the onions really soft, for example and at least 5 minutes to brown the tomato paste... what you'll notice is a slight darkening of the paste and a switch to a sweeter aroma.. then you're ready to add the liquids and sugar.

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
You should also know that you're no going to be BBQing unless you have a decent rub:

Here's the one that I use:

1/3 cup garlic powder
1 1/2 Tbsp ground cumin
2 1/3 cup dark brown sugar
1 Tbsp cayenne pepper
1/4 cup ground cinnamon
2 cup ground coffee (espresso grind)
2 cup kosher salt
1/2 cup ground black pepper

Put it all together and mix it will then let it sit a while so they all get to know each other (if you're making it the same day, it's not the end of the world. i just like to let any spice mixture "age" for at least 24 hours and at best a week before using it.

This rub will work for anything except fish. At least i haven't tried it with fish yet. Bring out whatever you are going to smoke so it gets to room temp and put the rub on thick. The biggest mistake you can make is skimping on the rub. Especially if you have a large piece of meat like a pork shoulder or a brisket. Make sure it's covered with a generous amount of the rub. I also like to boil down by half some apple cider vinegar if I'm making pork and inject it into the meat.

joemirando

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Not a BBQ sauce, but a butt-kickin' marinade that transforms London Broil into something amazing...

Ingredients:

• 1/2 Cup Soy Sauce
  • 1/2 Cup Lemon Juice
  • 1/2 Cup Vegetable Oil
  • 3 TBS. Ketchup
  • 1/2 tsp Onion Powder
  • 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
  • 1/4 tsp Black Pepper

Directions:

Combine all ingredients in blender and mix until thick and frothy. It will look like butterscotch.

Put 1 - 2 Lb. London Broil into Ziploc plastic bag, pour marinade over steak, seal, put in fridge for 4 - 24 hours.

Broil steak until medium. Let rest for 5 minutes then slice thin and serve.​

This one has never failed me. Add a baked potato and a veggie to make a complete meal. AND, of course, a glass of fine aged mead. <G>

Joe

joemirando

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
London Broil....... most likely named like that but not familiar, unless we'd call it something else.....

WTF is it Joe ?

Sorry. I forgot that it IS a 'local' thing.

I've seen thick flank steaks and both top and bottom round steaks labeled "London Broil". It's usually broiled to medium to medium-well, then sliced thin and against the grain.

When I was a kid, it was "any thick, tough, less-expensive cut of beef" was called London Broil.

This marinade not only tenderizes it, but flavorizes it as well.

Try it, you'll like it. <grin>

Joe

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
Roast beef is the cut I think. I'm sure someone with more than 15% battery life left can look it up.

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
Heh, here a london broil is a patty of ground meat, pork I think, sometimes with chopped onions or peppers mixed in, wrapped with a strip of fatty bacon and then that's wrapped with a 1 cm slice of a nice cut of steak, tied with string, maybe 2.5-3 cm thick and a little bigger around than a standard hamburger?

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns